Sign in to follow this  
starla

FRUITY LOOPS 101 - PLEASE direct -ALL- FL questions here

I have one little question; where can i get some decent sounding guitar/violin/electric guitar/bass guitar/any real instrument sound-files for fruity loops?

I have some really cool ideas and loops going on, but i really need some realistic sounding instruments to add some feeling and mood into my works. Thanks if you can help, and btw i love (like, seriously love) the site you guys have here, it rocks in every way!^_^

later. ~raven

I'll say it again, if you havnt looked at page 4:

http://www.sonicreality.com/sonicsynthmore.html

now go look at page 4

Oh, sorry, must've missed that.

heh, $299 though? is there perhaps any half dencent free synths out there? i mean, i don't have that kind of money.

FL 3.5 and up come with a Voice Synth that can create multitudes of voices at any pitch or speed. They can be used like any other generator and have FX applied to them. They basically render as samples from the speech engine, you just tell it what you want said and at what speed/pitch/voice and it renders it as a .speech file that can be used exclusively in FL. But again, that only comes with FL 3.5 and higher.

First, in the sample songs that come with Fruity Loops, are most of the channels actually made with the Fruity Loops generators, or are they just samples? Is there any way to tell?

Also, some of the channels are different colors, what do the different colors mean? I didn't see it anywhere in the help...

In the piano roll, when I know you can drag the end of notes to change the length, but some seem to be smaller than I can make them, in the premade songs... How's that done?

Oh, and one simple MIDI question I don't really get... When you hook a synth up to the computer, is the sound that would be played on the synth, sent exactly as-is to the sequencer?

First, in the sample songs that come with Fruity Loops, are most of the channels actually made with the Fruity Loops generators, or are they just samples? Is there any way to tell?

Also, some of the channels are different colors, what do the different colors mean? I didn't see it anywhere in the help...

In the piano roll, when I know you can drag the end of notes to change the length, but some seem to be smaller than I can make them, in the premade songs... How's that done?

Oh, and one simple MIDI question I don't really get... When you hook a synth up to the computer, is the sound that would be played on the synth, sent exactly as-is to the sequencer?

1.) Click on the channel. If you see a neat little interface with lots of knobs saying stuff like "coarse" and "fine," you know it's a generator. All of the generators have their names on the graphical interface (the WASP, for example, has its in the bottom-right hand corner).

2.) The colors can be set by the user, but types of channels have preset colors. To set this, open the channel, and right click on it's name in the upper-right hand corner of the window and then click on the little colored box to choose the color.

3.) To make notes smaller than they can be dragged in the piano roll, double-click on them. A dialog box should pop up with duration and start time settings. You can adjust these to get down to the tiniest of notes. Great for making drum rolls and such.

4.) No, MIDI stands for Musical Instrument Digital Interface. It has nothing to do with audio. MIDI data is for transmission of note data, start and stop times, parameter changes, and etc. To get the sound off the synth into the computer, you'd have to hook an audio cable up to its output to an input on the computer, such as the Line-In on the soundcard.

What the granulizer does is take a sound and randomly output slices of variable length. For example, if you put a sample of a guy screaming into it, depending on how you set the parameters, it will take different lengths of sections of an adjustable randomness and make them the output. The knobs in it adjust the size of the grains (the slices), the size of the gaps inbetween the grains, the overall randomness, and more.

For more detailed information on this plugin, check out the help file that comes with FL.

I looked in the help file that's attached, it tells me to download the 'in depth' manual, but I can't find that...

What I don't get it about the granulizer, is just how to use it. I'm not so concerned about what it does- I'd like to figure that out on my own. I'm just having trouble getting it to DO anything...

Open the channel properties for the Granulizer and click on the "SMP" tab. Point it to an audio sample, and STAND BACK! ;)

It's that simple. You just load an audio sample into it and it's ready to go.

Sorry for all the questions, but I have one more...

In some of the songs that come with FL, the settings change automatically, as the song goes. How is this done? Again, something I couldn't find in the help file..

Thanks

Hmm. I think I have FL 3.3...but I didn't exactly pay for it (I'm poor! I'm overseas!). So is there anywhere where I can download the voice thing, or would I have to look for FL 3.5?

In some of the songs that come with FL, the settings change automatically, as the song goes. How is this done? Again, something I couldn't find in the help file..

Thanks

Next to the play/stop buttons is a little round symbol, that i think goes read when pushed... athough i might be getting confused with Reason. Anyhoo, click this (it's a 'record' button) and start playing the song, as you go along you can adjust the sounds, volumes, tempos, balances, and any other variables. When the song's over, unclick the record button, and play the song back, now it will auto do ehatever you did to it when recording. You can record over and over again to easily add these variables to all the different instruments too. good luck! ^_^

I forget who recommended it (sorry...) but I went to BananaQuartz Studio and downloaded some soundfonts, but whenever I try to save, FruityLoops tells me that they are limited use demos and deletes them! What's going on here? Should I get some soundfonts from other websites, or is FL being gay?

And I still do not quite understand the concept of a soundfont. Is general MIDI a collection of low quality, standardized soundfonts, or are they completely different? What are all these other kinds of instrument files included with FL? Some of them won't even let me use the piano roll with them.

Okay, the thing is, you probably don't have a registered version of the SF Player for FL... So you'll need one of those to be able to save the SF Player channels that are in your project for future use as well as to render them.

Thanks

Hey dj, what you're talking about is automation. I can give you a really simple flp file that will teache you it or a very in depth complicated explanantion that i don't get. What do you want? The flp file right ;)

Goto:

www.floops.co.uk

click on tutorials and grab the automation tutorial, i think it's called automation tutorial for dummies. Anyway unzip it if it's zipped and open it with FL.

*note* this has nothing to do with FL but it's pretty funny.

You guys know about world war I right? well i was studying it today and i wrote down the "Ottoman" place like so: Automan, like a car dude. Pretty funny huh? at least it wasn't a test or quiz ;)

Try the buzz effect adapter. It's an effect. Just load sometihng by clicking on the button on the top. pick one that sounds good and check out the presets. i believe their is a "wah-wah" in there.

Can I get an FL type program free? Since i have the demo, all it's good for is importing MIDIs and exporting MP3's...

Hey the graceful failure...we're in the same location...odd, I don't see you anywhere. :lol:

Does anyone have an in-depth explanation of what all the controls for the different synths do (FX, 3xosc, etc)? I understand the basics, like attack, decay, etc, but some of them really have me lost...

What i would like is a semi in depth explanation of wasp. I can make some ok chip tunish sounds with it but everything else i try turns out very strange or distortedly retarded. The basics on using wasp would be fine, or if someone can tell me a good way to make something good with wasp that would be kewl too.

an in depth guide to all the different synth makers would really be appreciated, i have looked for guides and tutorials but so far found nothing.

What i would like is a semi in depth explanation of wasp. I can make some ok chip tunish sounds with it but everything else i try turns out very strange or distortedly retarded. The basics on using wasp would be fine, or if someone can tell me a good way to make something good with wasp that would be kewl too.

an in depth guide to all the different synth makers would really be appreciated, i have looked for guides and tutorials but so far found nothing.