Sign in to follow this  
starla

FRUITY LOOPS 101 - PLEASE direct -ALL- FL questions here

Got 'nother drum question. When you start up FL and you have the 4 channels sitting there (C_Kick, C_HC, CHH, and C_Snare) is there any way to increase the amount of beats you get? Like 16th notes and 32nd? Because without them I cant get the timing quite right...

(not sure if that makes sense, but thnx anyway! :D )

Got 'nother drum question. When you start up FL and you have the 4 channels sitting there (C_Kick, C_HC, CHH, and C_Snare) is there any way to increase the amount of beats you get? Like 16th notes and 32nd? Because without them I cant get the timing quite right...

(not sure if that makes sense, but thnx anyway! :D )

I totally answered that a few pages back, go look.

To repeat for the lazy, change the snap in the top to something like 1/4 or 1/2. Experimentation is the best way to learn this.

If you really wanted you could probably go into song settings and scale up the tempo but...

I've downloaded a bunch of rather nice soundfonts from Bananaquartz Studio, and they play just fine in Fruity Loops (I have the full version now. Early Christmas present :D ). But when I try to save my work, FL says something about "Some of the FL plugins used in this project are limited to the demo vversion only, and will be deleted. Continue saving?"... Or something like that. Then once I did save (Trying to figure out what this means), all my soundfonts are erased from the project.

Why does it keep deleting the soundfonts?

Please, and thank you.

Once more, because I asked the same question, which has now become the jaded topic of late.

There are demos in the new version of Fruity Loops. Unfortunately, that are not savable, so unless you leave your machine on 24/7, you have a one shot deal to encode your work to MP3, WAV, or what have you.

Ok this Q is for the super-advanced users of FruityLoops, i know its possible on FL to make those choir vocal-sound alikes but I have no idea how to do it. Ive heard songs made by FL that have them in it but it is still a mystery to me on how to do it. Can anyone help me out on this? (Example, Metroid, The norfair/magmoor Awes) Thanks

EDIT: Nevermind, got it.

I don't know about vocal sounds, but there are ways to make all sorts of neat sounding pads. You can use simsynth to make them, but I prefer 3x oscillator.

To make pads with the 3x oscillator, first select your waveforms. I prefer to use saw waves for all three, but there are variations that can give you different sounds that may sound better. Adjust the tuning either all to zero semitones or all to -12 semitones for each oscillator (so they're all the same). Set the fine tune on one oscillator down to -35 cents, and the fine tune to another to +35 cents. This will give them a very thick sound. If you prefer, you don't have to detune them as much, or even at all. You can leave all 3 at 0 cents, if you prefer.

Now for envelopes:

Under the volume envelop, turn the attack knob slightly up, and the sustain knob all the way up. Make sure the cutoff knob is turned way down. If you want you can turn up the resonance up also (up to halfway is probably good). There, now you have some OK sounding pads.

However, they probably still sound a bit cheesy. You want to add some effects to make them sound a lot richer. For effects, you should add some reverb (the default preset should be fine, although you may want to add more). Also add a flanger effect for some fun. I normally use the "Ultra Fat Chorus" preset so it sounds like it takes up more space (and sounds a lot richer). If you want, you can also add a phaser effect. I'd suggest experimenting with the different phaser presets until you find one that suits you, or you can play around with it yourself to get the effect you want.

Now that you have your sound, you want to make it work. Go to the piano roll view and build your chords and stuff. If you want, you can play around with channel panning in the piano roll. You can also give it some more phasing qualities by going back to the envelopes section of the sample, rigth clicking the "cutoff" knob, and selecting "edit events". Now you can draw a bunch of stuff on the graph to control the sounds cutoff. I'd suggest first selecting from the top left corner, Init events (to put the graph at the current cutoff position), and selecting ("use smooth transitions", or whatever it says). Now you can draw curves on the graph for some cool cutoff effects.

Hope that makes some sense or helps.

Now go out there and make some badass pads.

That is just a matter of finding the right sample or soundfont you want. You can search through the various free soundfont sights like www.hammersound.net and www.bananaquarts.com and see if any of those strike your fancy. I'm sure there are some decent free choir samples out there. There is a crappy one in one of the FL sample folders. If you don't have any luck there, you might try some place like www.bigfishaudio.com and lay down a little cash (or a lot) for some high quality samples. Some of the online sample dealers will even sell individual sample downloads from 2 to 10 bucks each.

Hope that gives you a start.

This is probably a stupid question, but how do you get FL to export music as a MIDI? I've found all of the options for it, but every time I try, I just end up with a tiny blank file. I think it has something to do with setting my soundcard to the right port, but I can't find a way to determine what it's port is either.

This is probably a stupid question, but how do you get FL to export music as a MIDI? I've found all of the options for it, but every time I try, I just end up with a tiny blank file. I think it has something to do with setting my soundcard to the right port, but I can't find a way to determine what it's port is either.

Are all your channels midi channels? If not, I don't think it will recognize as a midi and will not work. Check other midis, do they work? If they don't, mess around with your card's midi settings until it works. Hope that helps.

Hey, i think this is a stupid question too, but hey, if i get an answer, its worth it. Well anyways, Uh...How do you install a soundfont? haha. i tried putting it in the directory where the default ones were, but it doesn't show up. can i get some help here? thx

Hmm. If you did the right thing (I assume you put the soundfonts in FLwhatever\samples\soundfonts for example [i recommend it goes in the samples folder and some subfolder]) then you probably don't have a newer version of Fruityloops. Soundfonts can be seen in the FL browser starting at version 3.4 and above. Also, only .sf2 format can be read. If you are using .sfark or .sfpack, you need an uncompression tool.

I have the version 3.4 FL progam, i put it in the (whatever)\samples\soundfonts and the file is in .sf2 format. When i go to soundfonts, it just shows up as 1 soundfont and nothing else. Its supposed to be like alot of instruments and stuff but i dont' see them.

Double click on the Name (Next to patch and bank) and it should come up with a list of instruments.

I hope that answers your question...if I answered the right one...

I've got a question. I've heard you shouldnt use the instruments that come with FruityLoops... but I can't find anything to match the default C_Kick. I look at all these soundfont sites just trying to find a kick drum like that, all i can find is drum KITS, where each note is a different drum instead of just one drum and different notes. Darn it all... should I just use C_Kick after all?

Also, another question, about tempo changes. I've been able to successfully make tempo changes within a song at least once or twice... but its mostly luck, since I dont know what i'm doing. In fact, can I just get a quick walkthrough of how to change the tempo within a song? Its really confusing...

And I haven't even gotten into the advanced stuff... I'm just barely starting to make a Metroid remix that sucks, and I'm having alot of trouble :/

Also, how can I use .sfARk or whatever they are? Or can i only use sf2?