OCR01665 - *YES* Wizards & Warriors 'Wizards in My Armor (Warrior in My Long-Johns)'

Liontamer

Remixer: Trenthian

Guitars: brOtherSynthe

Forum id'izzle?: 6010 I think maybe?

erm.... oh yeah!

Game Remixed: Wizards and Warriors

Songs : medley!

Title of the Remizzle: Wizards in My Armor (Warrior in My Long-Johns*)

*see entry 6 in our fantastic offer.

Id like to offer you a chance to 100% FREEEEEEEE do somthing or other.

Listen to our exciting commercial offer.

What is included with your subscription?

1. Vanished Princess (read: Varnished)

2. Medieval Electric Rennaissance Disco Butt-Rock

3. Trenthian Singing for the lulz

4. Brothersynthe Guitar Solo

2. Electric Recorder Solo.

5. WEARY!

6. It's More likely than you think.

------------------------------------------------------------------

http://www.zophar.net/nsf/wizwar.zip - Tracks 1, 11 & 2

Badass. The drums were the weak part of the mix, as I thought the steady beat kept the time nicely and moved things forward, but droned on like a robot after a while and wasn't as interesting as the rest of the composition. The harmonized lyrics also could have been a bit more upfront, but they were otherwise handled very well.

The arrangement as a whole was extremely excellent. John's vocals were handled pretty well, and the harmonization was solid. Taking lessons from Star Salzman on improving your vocal technique and production? Man, I remember that Perfect Stangers theme arrangement you made, and those vocals were HARSH. :-D

The electric recorder solo from 3:01-3:43 was very swanky, followed Basdass guitar solo from the anthropomorphic Brothersynthe from 3:42-4:16, both on top of the source's progression. Could have been mixed a bit better, but god damn that was some impressive stuff.

The lyrics at the very end had me laughing out loud when I paid attention to them and acually heard what you saying. A lot of people are gonna get a kick out of 'em. Otherwise though, the serious parts of the lyrics were also very well written and coneveyed great imagery of the game. Not a necessity of course, but some closed-minded vocal haters (FUCK YOU!) will at least lay off when the lyrics are relevant to the game.

Thank you, oh gracious Lord, for thine son Trenthian of Trenthia. Plus it's the first Wizards & Warriors mix in 4 years, which is a blessing in and of itself from the Supreme Being. Wouldn't mind a shower and message of the mixing on this one to get it sounding cleaner and sleeker, but this is still a gem of an arrangement.

YES

• 2 months later...

The initial mix of sounds in the intro wasn't really palatable to me... guitar seemed a bit too chorused/detuned and it just didn't feel together. Once the chiptune arpeggio came in with some drums, it felt much tighter. At first I thought this was pretty much "Trenthian does Wizards & Warriors" with his mix of four-on-the-floor acoustic/drum machine style percussion, old-school synths, and orchestral elements. Then the vocals came in. Very nice job on those! I was genuinely surprised at how well they worked here. Great performance, mixing/processing. I think the arrangement as a whole worked quite well, with a good amount of personalization, a sensible & musical structure, and seamless merging of the multiple W&W themes.

Nice soloing, a bit wanky on the guitar, but that's just fine by me :)

My only complaints are really production oriented. The drums are weak, as Larry/Darke have pointed out. Really uninteresting compared to everything else, though they get the job done. Plus, I think there is too much going on in the lows to low-mids, makes things muddy, especially when the vocals are going on. It's not a huge deal but I think the spectrum isn't quite balanced as well as it could be. The highs seemed to suffer a bit somehow, possibly from the encoding.

Great mix overall - very creative, glad to see Trenth trying new things.

YES

Very very creative arrangement! The transitions between source songs are flawless and the whole thing sounds very much of one piece. The mix of guitars, vocals, traditional instruments, and chiptune synths is really fun and unexpected, and the energy level is high throughout. And speaking of unexpected, I too cracked up when I heard the lyrics near the end. You've got the technical parts of this down too. Playing and singing are strong, and the instruments sat well and played nicely with each other. Oh, and the bassline that starts at 3:06 grooves like "Owner of a Lonely Heart". Love it!

I really didn't have much negative to say about this mix. The low end of the kick seems to sustain too long; you can almost hear a phantom kick between beats. The intro is a little weak in comparison to the rest (I think the strings aren't of high enough quality that they should be so exposed), and like other judges have mentioned, the drums are a little plodding after six minutes. But there's so much going on with the other parts that there's plenty to hold your attention. An easy

YES