Tascam's free Piano VSTi

As part of their promotion for their new fangled GVI (giga virtual instrument), Tascam has released a free piano VSTi as a demo of the technology. You can grab it here (in the GIGA Continuous Velocity Piano section).

I haven't had a chance to check it out for myself yet (it's a pretty big download on 56k), so lemme know how it goes.

Just downloaded and installed it - uninstalling it shortly.

It sounded nice when I loaded the standalone, although sort of wierd like most modeled pianos do. It looked pretty promising until I loaded the VST into FL Studio. I used it on a short piano piece I had written...not good. It seemed to slow the program down so much that there was skipping and underruns galore. Also, when I used MIDI sustain, the notes seemed to get stuck and skip like a CD, over and over until you turned off the sustain.

Dont know if these problems exist for anyone else but on my end - Tascam you still suck.

I love the hyped up descriptions of software lol. Choice words include industry-leading, dynamic, comprehensive toolsets, compelling, streamlined accessibility, powerful manipulation and rendering, and flexible open architecture. I love these descriptions. Makes you think you have to have everything... DOWNLOADING NOW

Just downloaded and installed it - uninstalling it shortly.

It sounded nice when I loaded the standalone, although sort of wierd like most modeled pianos do. It looked pretty promising until I loaded the VST into FL Studio. I used it on a short piano piece I had written...not good. It seemed to slow the program down so much that there was skipping and underruns galore. Also, when I used MIDI sustain, the notes seemed to get stuck and skip like a CD, over and over until you turned off the sustain.

Dont know if these problems exist for anyone else but on my end - Tascam you still suck.

The problem is FL, not Tascam... FL sucks with a LOT of VSTs. Which annoys me to no end, I might add, especially Kontakt 2...

it seems to work good except that I have to put the asio buffers up to 83ms of latency to give it enough time to render in real time. I can see using this in a project though. At the last minute make the switch to this piano then render it to an mp3 and see how it sounds. :(

Ok i got it to open in FL studio by reinstalling to the VST plugins folder. Is there a way to set additional vst folders in FL studio because I thought I did but apparently I didn't. THIS IS AWESOME NICE PIANO SOUND.

ok i found it. only one vst folder in fl :( multiple browser though

BIG BIG PROBLEM

Ok it was working great and all of a sudden I decide to play mario bros on the piano as if it were a real piano (a fast song with lots of notes at the same time) Well not all of the notes are coming out. I think it's a problem with the polyphony but I can't find how to change it in the plugin. Any help would be extremely hot. We are talking burned water hot, not boiled, burned.

Problems I know of offhand:

* Spectrasonics UVI players don't function properly - eg. Trilogy, Atmosphere - they create a delay when you render them, which means you have to bounce down the tracks to align them properly

* Kontakt 2, FM8, Guitar Rig 2, and a couple other NI plugins exhibit dropouts when used with any form of CPU overload protection on. You have to "Use Fixed Size Buffers" to fix the problem, which screws up multi-out configurations and rendering.

* Wizooverb causes the CPU to spike to 99% by default and nearly crashes the program, unless you use "Fixed Size Buffers"

* Dual core support is lacking entirely for all VST effects

* Some VSTs receive erroneous transport controls when hitting "play" in song mode or switching through patterns. eg. Zebra 2 simply halts output if you switch between patterns while the song is playing, Pro-53 turns off OSC B LFO -> Pulse Width (which screws up numerous patches)

off the top of my head..

* Spectrasonics UVI players don't function properly - eg. Trilogy, Atmosphere - they create a delay when you render them, which means you have to bounce down the tracks to align them properly

I use Trilogy and have never seen this issue.

* Kontakt 2, FM8, Guitar Rig 2, and a couple other NI plugins exhibit dropouts when used with any form of CPU overload protection on. You have to "Use Fixed Size Buffers" to fix the problem, which screws up multi-out configurations and rendering.

I have not seen issues with any of those. Kontakt 2 did have some strange dropouts going until I changed a setting internal to that program, but it had to do with the rendering engine, not the buffers (if you're interested, I'll try to find the song where I made the note "DO {whatever} TO GET K2 TO RENDER RIGHT" to myself...). In fact, several of my songs use Trilogy with Guitar Rig 2 and I haven't had problems with either.

* Dual core support is lacking entirely for all VST effects

How can you tell? I thought FL itself, as the host, was responsible for threading. But I do all of my production and mastering work in another environment, so I don't think I'd notice anyway, personally.

Pro-53 turns off OSC B LFO -> Pulse Width (which screws up numerous patches)

I have not noticed this myself...but it's been awhile since I fired up Pro53.

-steve

Yes. No. Bananas. Question does not take into account budget, target, workflow.

zircon: http://newecho.typepad.com/blog/2007/08/fl-studio-7-tip.html - but I can assume you've tried this already :).

if money were not a factor, what daw would come out ontop. I already like fl studio a lot because it's so easy and I already know a lot of the workarounds for it for things that aren't directly implemented, but I was interested in trying pro tools, reason, and cubase. Apparently wikipedia thinks cubase sucks and is going down hill, but I've heard it is pretty good. Anyways might dl a reason demo.

if money were not a factor, what daw would come out ontop.

ProTools comes in 2 flavors:

- regular

- LE or M-Powered

You won't find the first because it's tied to expensive hardware. The second; it's not so much tied to hardware but there's hardware made for it that plays nice and gives you quite a bit of power. You get some really nice effects with it. You need a wrapper to work with regular VST stuff since PT uses RTAS.

Your best option would be to watch this here:

http://www.digidesign.com/index.cfm?langid=141&navid=159&itemid=23396&ref=PTAV-F

Apparently wikipedia thinks cubase sucks and is going down hill

Yamaha bought Steinberg and they still released 4 with bugs and no DXi support, and they didn't fix 3. That's the only thing that sucks.

Anyways might dl a reason demo.

Reason's big, big advantage is that it has several sensible choices pre-packaged.

is the super good one pro tools hd or something else? Also what is the difference between LE and M powered????? These music daw websites are terrible. I still have no idea what the hell recycle, rewire, or any of this marketed crap is. It would be nice if they said what the product actually did instead of talking about how great it is.

Well I guess the HD one is the super one. It costs $1000+ and comes with big soundcards or something

PTCoreHD3Ac-large.jpg

Hi everyone, Been srewing with tascams piano for a couple of days. First I must admit my gear meets the MINIMUM requirements for this cpu hog. It installed easily enough and the standalone is working, BUT- only if close the fancy "mic" section down. I noticed and then discovered through some research that it actually uses 2 samples for each note activated. (something to do with the sustain pedal positions).You can change the polyphony to up to 256 in the setup panel as well as your audio devices. but still run into the same problem mentioned in the earlier post above. after a very short sprint on a relativly easy passage the notes start "cascading" behind your playing and trickle down untill they are done.. (probably works nicely on a 3 gig cpu). I also noticed a "puffing" or "thumping" type noise, like having a live mic setting on your keyboard while your playing is my best description. again,it might be a lack of horsepower on my system, athelon 1.8 gig, 2megs memory, but it says it will work with that. So I'm wondering if it is related to thier attempt to emulate the movement of the actual moving parts (pedals) of the instrumnet (?) It's a shame, really, because the actual sound is very realistic. The vst portion also works, but unless you have a VERY powerful system to run it on, you could not possibly use it in conjuction with a complete song and vst setup in any normal manner. The best I could do with shutting most portions of the instruments features down is 25% cpu load AT IDLE. play more than 8 notes and your tripping it out. with the module at normal settings, it runs at 48% cpu load AT IDLE. doesn't leave much room for anything else. Not knocking it, just putting in my findings so far. Would appreciate any other info and testing from anyone.:idea:

I also noticed a "puffing" or "thumping" type noise, like having a live mic setting on your keyboard while your playing is my best description. again,it might be a lack of horsepower on my system, athelon 1.8 gig, 2megs memory, but it says it will work with that. So I'm wondering if it is related to thier attempt to emulate the movement of the actual moving parts (pedals) of the instrumnet (?) It's a shame, really, because the actual sound is very realistic.

It does indeed include hammer/pedal noise, so that's probably what you're hearing.

A shame? :-? When you close-mic a piano (or even sit at one and listen to it as you play it) you hear all of that stuff. You can sometimes even hear some of it if the mic is a good ten or twelve feet away. It's a legitimate part of the piano sound and it makes it much more realistic.

The vst portion also works, but unless you have a VERY powerful system to run it on, you could not possibly use it in conjuction with a complete song and vst setup in any normal manner. The best I could do with shutting most portions of the instruments features do wn is 25% cpu load AT IDLE. play more than 8 notes and your tripping it out. with the module at normal settings, it runs at 48% cpu load AT IDLE. doesn't leave much room for anything else. Not knocking it, just putting in my findings so far. Would appreciate any other info and testing from anyone.:idea:

If I use it with the default configuration as a VST in Sonar and push it to 110-ish voices with Reason also ReWired and playing a few tracks, the CPU load hovers between 60% and 70% (by Sonar's count, anyway). (I'm using a Core 2 Duo, 1 gig RAM). I've had the delayed note problem, too, but only occasionally during CPU-load spikes, and then only very briefly.

Realistically, this is the kind of thing you'd want to bounce to an audio track as soon as possible rather than keep the VST playing. That way that massive chunk of CPU power is freed up for the rest of your mix.

I can play it without distortion as a stand alone, but then when it is loaded as a VST in FL studio, it distorts on the upper velocities. What's up with this? I can't figure out how to make it fixed sized buffers. I remember doing that once to fix it, but I can't find it again.

I don't have FL, so this may be no help, but have you tried turning the volume down within the VST? (i.e. the green bar in the middle of the piano's MIDI Mixer view.)

is the super good one pro tools hd or something else?

The super good one.

Also what is the difference between LE and M powered?????

http://www.digidesign.com/index.cfm?navid=28&langid=100&

Start here, first hit when I punched in ProTools M-Powered in Google. Short: M-Powered works with M-Audio interfaces.

These music daw websites are terrible. I still have no idea what the hell recycle, rewire, or any of this marketed crap is. It would be nice if they said what the product actually did instead of talking about how great it is.

ReCycle loads up a sample that is usually a drumloop. It then tries to chop it in separate instruments.

So if your drum loop goes like this (let's take a breakbeat as example)

Boom-Boom-Chack-ChickaChicka-Boom-Chack

ReCycle will turn it into

Boom1

Boom2

Chack1

ChickaChicak

Boom3

Chack2

as separate samples.

Which allows you to play it back in a different order (remix), replacing certain instruments - like, if you don't want the Boom, you just cut it out and the snare (chack) and shaker/hihat (chickachicka) are just left. Or, you can turn a loop into a drum kit really fast.

This also allows you to speed up or slow down the tempo without changing the pitch - slowing down will simply introduce silences, speeding up will cut off the drums earlier. It's coarse - but for drum loops it's awfully effective.

ReCycle was the first app to do this in the mainstream, and the idea has been copied by others. Reason's Dr.Rex uses the ReCycle files.

ReWire is a way to use a DAW in another sequencer in its entirety - as a plugin. I can load up Reason in Ableton and therefore use Reason's instruments in Ableton. There's a performance penalty and using it might be a bit awkward, but it's possible.

oh snap

oh snap

Hi again, I've gotten into 2.2gig processor now and the piano does respond much better. You are correct, I always get the CPU hogs to audio ASAP. I guess I should qualify the pedal sounds as a shame that they are so pronounced. I'm guessing in the retail version you might be able to control that variable as well as many others.