*NO* Doom 'Infected Lab'

Liontamer

Use the project link below; the bitrate is too high, but we can get a new encoding if this passes - LT

Thought I'd go ahead and submit the song on doom.ocremix.org and the ff7.ocremix.org song that are currently up. I know you guys only accept one at a time, but I've meant to submit these for a while and they're already in projects on the site. If you will only accept one at a time let me know, and I'll resubmit the other song when possible (not a problem ^^). If given the option, I'd rather have Infected Lab submitted before Sons of Chaos so they'll be submitted in the order that they were written.

Thanks,

Xaleph

-----------------------------------------------------------------

http://www.doom2.net/~doomdepot/music/doom%201%20&%202%20midis.zip - Doom: E1M7 (Computer Station)

As an arrangement, this felt underdeveloped. Not undeveloped, but definitely underdeveloped, as I felt interpretation could have been substantially improved and/or expanded with more variation, but that wasn't necessarily the goal here (which I stress is ok). Let's see what we've got.

Well-produced on the whole. The intro until 1:01 seemed wholly original and unrelated to the source. Only a 2:39-long arrangement, so that definitely had me really, REALLY worried about how much of the track was going to actually be arranging the theme, as it was nearly halfway over. While I don't believe the section is anything from E1M7, I could be missing a reference to another source that I'm not familiar with, so I'd appreciate TO or someone else taking a look. Whatever it turns out to be, I can't argue that it pieced together very seamlessly into the bigger picture of the arrangement.

1:01-1:30 played it pretty straightforward with the melody, adapting it well to genre and using the synths in the background to support it and add another layer.

1:38-2:07 got more interpretive by rhythmically messing with the string part of the backing portion of the source (best heard from 1:22-1:35 of the source MIDI). Swanky changeup at 1:53; I was feeling that bassline.

2:07-2:36 covered the 4th part of the source, again playing it straightforward with the genre adaptation. It might be seen as entirely subjective, but when a source tune has a shortcoming, I don't think it shouldn't necessarily be carried over into an arrangement. In this case, it was the sudden ending with no real resolution. That's more of a nitpick.

If the intro was indeed all original, then 1:27's worth of the 2:39-long track was arranging the source, just over 50%. A close call if I've ever seen one, but you get the job done on a prerequisite level.

Aside from the intro, the arrangement holds pretty tight to the general structure of the source. Not in an entirely negative way mind you, but following the source with its melody #1/interlude/melody #2 sequence.

Overall, I feel like the arrangement is good, but the melodic interpretation doesn't feel substantive enough. I really would have liked to have seen the theme taken further beyond the genre adaptation. I don't feel it's at that level yet. Likely can't get this worked on further, but in the event that that's possible, I know you could do something really strong with it with additional ideas.

NO (resubmit)

• 2 weeks later...

I dunno what it is about this source that makes people want to make techno/dance remixes out of it. DJCarbunk1e did that for the doom project.

Anyway, as Larry said the remix has sections where it uses none of the source, and then sections where it follows the source almost precisely. I can't hear references to any other Doom music in here and I'm pretty close to the Doom soundtracks, so you're spot on Larry.

Production is all right. Arrangement is good in terms of the genre, but bad in terms of remixing. You need to rearrange the melody.

NO