ReMixer Name: Jonny Angel

Email: angelboyblue@gmail.com

ReMix Info:

Link:

Alt. Link:

Games ReMixed: Mario Strikers Charged

Individual Songs: Luigi's Theme

Game Info:

- Mario Strikers Charged (by Next Level Games for the Nintendo Wii)

- Musical Composers: Mike Peacock, Darren Radtke, Chad York

- More Info: http://www.gamefaqs.com/console/wii/data/935184.html

Example of Original Song:

-

Comments:

This song was just infectious to begin with, IMO. I couldn't help but remember the final battle scene in Kill Bill Vol. 1. Anyway, while the music was fun to listen to, choosing Luigi as my captain on the basis of his theme music proved to be less than beneficial. So I decided to make my own mix, grabbing snippets from each of the different versions of his theme and putting them all into one song, adding in my own melodies and solo pieces. Now I can listen to it whenever I want.

----------------------------------------------------------------

Didn't see any MIDIs of the source tune over at VGMusic, but if anyone finds more info out there, let me know.

Having not heard the source tunes in full (the YouTube video example you provided was at least something), I can't explicitly tell what writing's yours and what's from the game. If I find more information, I'll come back to this, but it's not necessary.

The sample quality is pretty poor. Certainly worse than the actual game music itself, which is never a plus as far as I'm concerned. But even using these sounds, you could have gotten a much stronger sounding result through better sample articulations. The acoustic guitar, piano and brass in particular all sounded extremely fake. Even though the samples were poor and unrealistic, I at least would have been OK if the parts were articulated to sound like a more humanized performance, which other ReMixers have done. That's where you have to compensate if you're not gonna step up the sound quality.

NO

• 1 month later...

Yeah, samples are a big downgrade from the sound quality of the original, which seemed like a super-polished combo of live and sequenced instruments. Stylistically, it's just about the same as the original. Same beat, same instrumentation, except your samples don't generally sound as good, such as the cheap bass and the piercing, buzzy brass. Your acoustic guitar isn't terrible, at least the strums - the lead isn't so good. It also seems to me that you stuck closely with the arrangement of the original in terms of melodies and rhythms, at least based on what I heard in that video link you provided.

I suggest rereading the submission standards & guidelines. We are not looking for simple recreations or performances of video game tunes, but unique and creative interpretations that expand the original piece. As is, this does not pass our bar for either arrangement or production.

NO

I'm pretty familiar with the source; I've got the game and play as Luigi for the sole reason of listening to his theme; it really is the best song in the game.

This is pretty much the same as the in-game song. It's not different enough, and the fact that the original has better brass makes this a hard sell. Not bad for a recreation, but we're looking for more than just a recreation. You really gotta make the piece your own, not just riff on the original.

NO