*NO* Final Fantasy 7 'Ethereal Girl'

Liontamer

Remixer Name: Pixel

Email address: josephiroth@hotmail.co.uk

Name of game(s) arranged: Final Fantasy 7

Name of individual song(s) arranged : Aeris' Theme

Your own comments about the mix: Sorry about the name, I couldnt think of anything better. This is one of the first things I've done in FL Studio...

I'm still a bit of a n00b to be honest. I really loved the version of the prelude in FFXII and wanted to capture the same feeling. I also really like listening to my mum's Relaxation CDs, and wanted to put something like that together. My mum actually heard me while I was working on this, and asked if I would put it, and some other similar stuff that I was working on on CD for her, which kinda encouraged me to share this with you. I tried simplifying the melody a little to give it that relaxing, ethereal feel, instead of having it jumping from note to note, which wouldn't have worked with the choral elements. Hope you like it.

The file should be attached to the email. If that doesnt work, then try the following link

I hope everything is fine. Keep up the good work. OCRemix is one of the best sites on the net, and long may it continue.

Thanks,

Joseph

---------------------------------------------------------------

http://tzone.org/~llin/psf/packs2/FF7_psf.rar - 319 "Aeris' Theme"

A nice-enough sound, so I figure why not let the panel hear it. The note movements of the vox were exposed in a few places in the beginning, but otherwise it sounded smooth enough. Certainly serviceable. The soundscape was ok, reasonably balanced for what you're going for. Then again there wasn't much going on to mess up.

There's something to be said about the mood being successfully different, but the overall interpretation value was still low. The countermelody was lifted right from the original, and the melody was simplified like you said. A valid arrangement technique mind you, but it still needs to be supplemented with further interpretation techniques for the standards here.

Rinse and repeat at 1:58, so too much repetition and not enough development of the concept. At this point, the arrangement was just relying on the production choices and different mood to carry it, without much effort given to rewriting any of the piece, but rather lifting the structure and subsequently cutting material out.

This wouldn't need to be "busier" in the sense of adding tons more instruments or effects, but the interpretation of the material needs to be a lot more substantive.

NO

• 3 weeks later...

This has a very pleasant texture. I could imagine this as underscore to another FF7 spinoff film, or perhaps some sort of interlude scene in a remake. Either way, I think you did a great job conceptually. That being said, Larry is right that when it comes down to the actual interpretation of the theme, there is not quite enough of it for our standards. Overall, you basically have simplified and/or stretched out the original theme, moving it through different instruments. Very enjoyable, but consider any of the following to really meet our arrangement requirement:

* Variations to the main melody (eg. starting with the source melody and going into an improvised new melody)

* Variations on the chord progression

* Rhythmic changes to the theme

* Key, tempo, and/or time signature changes

* New original melodies on top of the existing progression

* New harmony elements

Additionally, the repetition is something of an issue as there are really no differences between the latter part of the track and the first time we heard it. You could definitely add more without sounding too 'heavy'. I strongly suggest listening to spacepony's "Super Mariocean" as that style is VERY similar to yours, and it might give you a better idea of what you can do with a simple theme in a light mood to properly meet our guidelines.

NO

Hmm, this is actually pretty decent for "one of your first mixes in FL" even if you are a self-proclaimed noob. I actually really like the airy, ambient texture that thoroughly prevails throughout the mix--it's really pretty and very relaxing. I can see the inspiration from a relaxation mood CD. I will say, however, that with such minimal instrumentation, there's really only so much ground you can cover before the vibe looses it's novelty and becomes a little less of a ReMix, and a little too much of backdrop mood music.

Unfortunate, because it doesn't really help this particular song on it's way to the front page of OCR. Be sure you don't misinterpret that as me saying I don't like the track--that's not true at all. It's very nice. For some reason, it's hard for me to explain. I'm not completely anti-minimalism, or even the anti-lullaby genre. As I said, it's actually quite pretty. And yeah, I can hear Aeris's theme alright. But I guess there's not much else to it. I'm gonna mooch off of Andy's vote and advise you to follow one or two (at least) of his suggestions for things you can do to expand on the track a little, and get it closer to the bar.

Anyway, it sucks as a judge to have to NO something that's still enjoyable, but at the same time, if something is not quite ready, we're just trying to help you make the best track you can.

Glad you're a fan of the site. I wouldn't mind hearing an expanded and more in-depth version of this resubbed later (not busier, as larry said) but again, just more in-depth. Dive a little deeper, Joseph. Keep at it. Thanks for supporting the site, and I definitely look forward to future submissions, especially as you move away from your said title of n00b and pick up new skills and techniques.

NO

Also, I'm think you may need to change your remixer name, as all the Cave Story fans on here are probably hoping that Pixel himself might eventually submit something. It'd just be too confusing. :tomatoface: