Star Control 2 - Starbase

Gilded

Hi. Took me 2 rejected songs to realize it might be feasible to post here to get some feedback before actually submitting the remix.

Even though this catchy (if monotonous) song has already been remixed by the very talented crew The Precursors (including Mark Vera and other awesome musicians) I really wanted to try remixing it myself.

Newest revision: http://www.tindeck.com/audio/my/psyc/Gilded---Celestial-Reconstruction-Revision-III

• 2 weeks later...

The distorted drums don't sound right. Try something more metallic and cymbal-oriented. The distorted guitars... are obviously fake. By the sound of the piano, I'm guessing you're using Reason. If you do, there's a combinator patch named "hellspawn guitar" that would fit pretty well where you have a distorted guitar now. It's still going to sound fake, but better.

Thanks for the tips, most appreciated. And yes, Reason (4.0) is the program I've been using. I've been meaning to redo the drums and guitars but I'm a bit skeptical about the hellspawn patch as I originally opted to use a guitar patch (tronicshred.cmb) I had found earlier on reasonstation.net specifically instead of the hellspawn patch. I suppose I could give it a try though. The other guitar beneath the tronicshred is a somewhat plastic sounding NN-XT guitar patch that I heavily distorted to create a sort of "wall of sound" effect on the chorus.

I actually like the drum sound, but this tune is way too repetitive as it stands, and there are probably a few hundred real guitarists around here who could give you a hand with that part (see the musicians wanted/available thread).

I say go for the 3DO samples (Kohr-Ah especially), just mangle the hell out of them to fit with the industrial feel of the song.

-steve

New version available, now with more stretched and distorted Kohr-Ah. :) Many other changes too, added distortion to some parts, rearranged the first piano part and guitars...

http://www.tindeck.com/audio/my/xyce/Gilded---Celestial-Reconstruction-Revision-II

edit: The weird distortion in the beginning of the first chorus is caused by an excessively loud "earthquake" sample that I'll tune/remove in the next revision, don't pay attention to it. :)

This sound is really unique. The production could use a bit of work, but I know diddley about that. I'd also like if there was a little more substance to it overall, BUT I think that's just because of how the production currently is. Kind of like how the limited sound of the NES chip needed a lot of substance to make up for potentially low production values. All I know is that Combinators are your friend. Same with that Default Mastering device or whatever: http://www.soundonsound.com/sos/nov05/articles/reasontech.htm?print=yes

Oh man, how feeble the source material sounds now. :/ I can remember how it sounded back then.. Suppose it still fits the game, but on it's own, huh.

I'm amazed how much you can draw out of that. Quite a scary, hostile ambience. However, I'd like to hear more "content".. is that a quote from the shipyard bgm in the beginning? Maybe you could splash some of that in, and then lift a melody motive from yet another soundtrack tune. Well, just my two cents.

--Eino