*NO* Legend of Zelda: Wind Waker 'Calling of The Winds'

Liontamer

BIG Man

Brandon McKinnon

bossmanstudios@yahoo.com

The Legend of Zelda: The Wind Waker

Hero of The Wind

Overworld Theme

I was playing Wind Waker, and I heard this theme. I really liked it, and I thought it was something a little more obscure than the Gerudo theme.

I wanted it to start off kind of evil and menacing and end up being happy and triumphant. I believe I accomplished that. It breaks it's own mold, too. To me it sounds like something you might hear at a Blue Man Group concert. It has synth elements along with live samples, and it leans towards hip-hop some, too.

------------------------------------------------------------

The Legend of Zelda ~Takt of Wind~ Original Sound Tracks - 103 "The Legendary Hero"

There were some good interpretive takes on the main Zelda source, usually involving the supporting instrumentation being changed, but also some good melodic interpretation. Other times though, the melody itself couldn't have been more by the numbers. Interpretive will always serve you better around here.

The orchestration was decent. The "hip-hop" parts definitely were not. You can't throw some overly simplistic beats in the background and call it hip-hop style. I'd joke that you were offending half of me, but weak execution of music offends all of me. :lol: I kid. So the opening was a decent concept, but very poorly executed. I hate to say it, but the whole orchestral/hip-hop thing ain't working at all for ya. The sections just don't piece together well.

You'd have been in a better position if you had stuck with orchestration. Even though many of your samples don't sound that hot, you generally had some good composition ideas. Not yet solid enough for me to pass even if this was just orchestral, but just saying you showed some skill on that level. Keep at it.

NO

Listened to this one earlier. I'll try to get my official vote in after work. (Seems like that and sleep are all I've had time for this past week... Dang holiday shopping season.)

I'm fairly certain there are additional sources being used if only briefly, but I don't have time to research it right this minute. I'll do some sleuthing when I get home tonight.

First half is kind of messy. The samples are drowned in reverb and the articulations are weak. Not enough definition or balance between your sounds. It's a mish-mash.

I actually liked the second half of the song with the samples and percussion and stuff, but the orchestral stuff still suffers from the problems in the first half. Also, the percussion has no bassline working with it to establish the kind of groove you're looking for. Low end sounds empty.

NO

OK, so I voted on this and apparently my vote got deleted somehow... I'll sum it up;

* Arrangement ideas are pretty good, though the main theme could be more creative.

* When you're doing a hybrid of orchestral + electronic, production is very important, it's more about execution than writing even. Drums definitely need to be changed, they don't fit.

* Orch samples could be better but aren't awful.

* 1:24 to 1:51 or so doesn't really go anywhere, just sort of messy.

Nice effort, keep at it though, use our remixing forum and listen to lots of recently posted mixes to get a feel for where our bar is and how to reach it.

NO