*NO* Fire Emblem (GBA) 'Anthem of an Archsage'

Liontamer

Remixer name: Vidilian

Email: vspaine14@hotmail.co.uk

Game: Fire Emblem 7

Songs: Athos' theme, Silent ground and Knight's Oath

Composer: Yuka Tsujiyoko

System: Gameboy Advance

Fire Emblem games definitley have underated soundtracks imo. Probably because the games aren't that popular. I love them though and wanted to do a remix of songs from the first game of the series that I played, 7.

I tried to make a sort of epic lullaby. Relaxing yet epic at the same time. All done with a PSR1500 keyboard so I'm sample quality of some of the intruments and the choir is good enough. My second attempt at getting a mix on the site. I've improved quite a bit since the last mix I feel, but we'll see.

Reverse cymbal is distracting and sticks out. Drums are too loud and the rhythm is awkward. There's not much balance between instruments; our pads and choir stick out too much. The string pads used as lead instruments have a really weak attack too.

The arrangement is pretty aimless. I don't think you've made any effort here to find a hook from your source tune. You tried to write an "epic lullaby;" a lullaby needs to have some kind of memorable melody. This has none. I think you really need to head back to the drawing board on this. Analyze your source tunes, find the hook, and work around it.

Hit up the Remixing forum and the WIP&C forum to get advice and feedback.

NO

http://www.zophar.net/gsf/fireemblem_gsf.rar - "The Archsage Athos", "Silent Ground" & "A Knight's Oath"

Interesting opening. Didn't feel like the percussion here worked at all, the sounds chosen or the delay effect on them.

Whoa, not very melodic at all at :45. Barely anything is harmonizing properly here whatsoever. You really need to develop an ear for piecing together music at the most basic level. Even the melodies don't work here.

I totally feel what DarkeSword is saying about there being no hook to this piece. There's no hook and no direction. "I tried to make a sort of epic lullaby. Relaxing yet epic at the same time." You could not be any further from the truth if you tried. On the arrangement side, there's just not too much to say. The attempt is there to get interpretive and change the mood of the sources, primarily "The Archsage Athos", but there's not even a coherent melody. So at that level, there's not much else to analyze or praise about what was modified without the caveat of "but it was poorly written and not musical."

I need to add poor composition to the list of form rejection bullet points. It's actually not on there. It's just we get so few of these, i.e. no sense of musicality, but half-decent sounds/production. Beyond salvageable.

I don't WANT to just give you a hardcore negative vote; I'd honestly love to give you constructive criticism, and I usually find at least a few things to praise in any given sub. But as far as this track goes, there's practically nothing to work with aside from the sound quality not being terrible out of the box. Don't give up on music, but do go back to the drawing board.

NO

Your instrumentation ideas are interesting, but just about nothing locks together at all during the course of the piece. I'll point out 1:08-1:30, 2:15-2:38, and 3:06-4:13 as particularly notable examples of where it just sounds like you've thrown a bunch of things together without really taking time to figure out how you want the piece to sound and where you want it to go.

DS said "aimless" and LT said "no sense of musicality"; really, this feels like you had a much of musical ideas, stacked them on top of each other, and called it good with no care at all given to the overall piece. Harsh thing to say, but the problem permeates the whole track from the ground up. There really isn't much more I can say on that besides try to think about how everything fits together. Start simple, practice, and work your way up to bigger and better things.

NO