WIP - Zelda: Wind Waker Ocean - R&R, thanks!

Draconiator

http://www.zerowaitingtime.com/30547-download-ZeldaWWOceanWIP.mp3

This originally started out as an original I was working on, but I accidentally saved over it with this when I was experimenting, whoops, heh.

Anyway, it turned out that I really was digging where I was going with this, so I kept going, so I'm posting it here for review so I can see if you guys can help me make it better in the long run. Remember, I'm in the very early stages in putting this together. I may release this as a "duet with GeoffTaucer too, dunno...

Sounds like WW. Sounds like Zelda. So you've done right so far. :)

Shorten the break, try not to leave a fully silent section anywhere besides the very end. Note that leaving notes to fade out and leaving only reverberation for a while, that's fully okay. Playing this on a loop, the break in the middle sounds more like end than the actual end does. Too long!

Now that I finally remembered the WW overworld/sailing theme, I see you've done a good job adapting it to a much more mellow tune. Whatever you do to continue it, don't forget to vary it a little. The soft pad chords in the background are nice, but you could, somewhere else in whatever this becomes, give them some more function than to back it up, harmonically. Have them play something more complex than on chords.

Also, listen to the backing sounds in the original sailing theme, you might hear some cool thing that should be heard more prominently. :)

http://www.zerowaitingtime.com/30619-download-ZeldaWWOceanWIP.mp3

It's almost 2 minutes long now. I got rid of the break at the beginning, and found an oboe sample that I really like. Funny though, I can't find any other samples that are better than the SF I have right now...

I also added some harmony in the second part starting when the percussion picks up a bit.

All right! With the exception of the kind'a clunky drums, the first minute is great. Although the lead is mechanical, and when it loops, it doesn't sound good. Add some modulation, very slight, to pitch, maybe volume and pan as well, that should help. If you don't know what I'm talking about, let me know and I'll tell you.

Think like a drummer/percussionist when you work the drums. They're not bad, they're functional, but they're boring. Adding a few notes before the start of every region, like you have done elsewhere with the ride would probably be enough. And while on the topic of sequencing, the lead is really mechanical much of the time. Change velocity (volume) to fit how someone would play it. At a later stage, work on timing as well.

Something zircon said about my recently rejected remix:

Each individual part should sound at least relatively musical by itself.

While he was talking about my way of building up a whole from boring individual tracks, I'd like to pass this advice on to you in another sense: when you mute all tracks but the lead, does the lead sound good? If not, make it sound good. Then try it with all tracks.

It's something I should do as well. When I find the time to remix. I'm looking forward to you next update, to see how how you've improved. :)

http://www.zerowaitingtime.com/30747-download-ZeldaWWOceanWIP.mp3

I finished the entire first half of the song, well almost; I still need to expand a few chords near the end It's in stereo now, has wider chords, (since I was asking questions in the IRC channels and got the wide chord tip in #OCWIP) and more of my harmonizing. Now that I'm more or less finished, where do I go from here? I don't like to continue the song following the melody, I like to mix it up a bit and let my composing instincts kick in. But would that sound good in the second half? (You can hear "me" in the piccolo line, and the harmonizing)

Stereo sounds good on iMac built-in speakers. Gonna try it with earphones later. Should carry headphones with me. :)

Noticed the bass now. Sounds good. Checked an older version, and found the bass was there too. Sounds much better now, tho. The piccolo is great! Gives the mix more color.

Did a side by side comparison, switching forth and back between your last version and the one before... Yup, better and better. :)

As for composing and arranging, I find that most good remixes, whether taking beginning, first "chorus", or climax straight from source, the end tends also to be very similar to source. I guess that's the easiest way, and a good way, of staying close to source without cutting back on space for original material, your own take on it. I'd say go nuts, do whatever fits, but throw in something from source in the end. It helps to tie everything together.

Using headphones, this sound bot better and worse. There's a world of new flaws I'm hearing... Then again, everything sounds much better. Too bad the net is down at home, or I wouldn't have to haul my headphones to work just to respond. But now, the feedback:

I now hear the harp could use a little longer release time. The first ride touch more so, it dies out too soon. make the note longer or tweak the settings.

Panning works well. The drumkit sounds backwards, but that's probably because I've spent too much time on the wrong side of the drums. If you want this to feel more like a band, imagine placing the different instruments on a stage and panning accordingly. Just don't lose balance. It sounds good enough as it is, tho I'd try moving the bass somewhere, see if it work better a bit to the... right, I think. No promises, but try it. If it doesn't sound better, leave it where it currently is. It's good.

Gonna be interesting to see what's next on this. See how much original stuff you can fit in and still stay true to the source. Then, and ending... or is it to soon to ask? We're waiting. Well, I am. :)

Well what I thought about doing is finishing the whole thing and then work on tweaking it so that is sounds the best it can. i didn't want to look at it today since I've been at it for like half a week already and I just want to rest for a bit before I start working on it some more. But I'm too involved in this already. If I stop now, I'll have let you down, and that's not me at all. I WON'T let anyone down, and I will finish this eventually, and if I feel like it's worthy, even submit it.

:-o