*NO* Super Castlevania 4 'Death Stroke'

Liontamer

Over the filesize limit; would need a J to properly downsample this if it passed - LT

* Your ReMixer name - Kidd Cabbage

* Your real name - Jonathan Peros (or Jon... God, I can't remember which I put with my last submission!)

* Your email address - jdperos@hotmail.com

* Your website - http://kiddcabbage.scott-bloom.com

* Your userid (number, not name) on our forums - 21995

* Name of game(s) arranged - Super Castlevania IV

* Name of individual song(s) arranged - Theme of Simon, The Entrance Hall, Into The Castle, Chandeliers

* Remix name - Death Stroke

* Link to mix: http://kiddcabbage.scott-bloom.com/music/Kidd_Cabbage_-_Death_Stroke.mp3

Hey, I'm back. This song is a real heavy, energetic mix from Super Castlevania IV. It's about half-based on the Theme of Simon, the song from the first level, and the rest of the songs remixed are pretty butchered up. The intro to the Theme of Simon has always struck a huge resemblence with Mozart's 25th Symphony to me, so I made a very small reference to it in the remix. A downright heavy mix with a lot of synth-basings. I really love this lead synth setting I found, so I exploited it a lot. I arranged this game and trashed the arrangement and started from scratch about a dozen times to come to what I've got here. I hope you guys enjoy the mix.

Another thing - the song is just barely over the submission limit at 6.06mb. I hope that's ok. I recently lost my projects folder, and all of my music in it, including this song, so I can't really go back and export it at a lower samplerate. Hopefully what I've got can slide, being that this is the only surviving copy of the mix since... the accident. If this song still doesn't fit the submission standards, though, I ask that you leave the mix link up for everyone else, since I can't really resubmit at this point.

Enjoy!

----------------------------------------------------------------

http://snesmusic.org/v2/download.php?spcNow=scv4 - "Theme of Simon" (scv4-04.spc), "Entrance Hall" (scv4-12a.spc), "In the Castle" (scv4-11.spc) & "Chandeliers" (scv4-12b.spc)

I'm just listing the sources you gave; all I really made any connection with was "Theme of Simon" and "Chandeliers". "Entrance Hall" felt too liberal offhand, and I just wasn't hearing "In the Castle". Not a big deal though; there was more than enough of the material I recognized in there.

The production was the low point here, IMO. I don't mind a grungy soundscape, but there was too much compression here resulting in a very cluttered end result. Sucks that the project files for this are gone. I'd definitely prefer to get a better separated mixing of this.

On the plus side, the arrangement was felt nicely expansive via the new supporting writing, particularly the percussion writing, which had some great energy and didn't play the lazy time keeping role, with even the more basic patterns lending movement and direction. The medley structure flowed pretty well, everything piecing together nicely.

Not feeling the production at all, but by the third listen you get more accustomed to it. That's about all praise I can give there, as the compression went overboard. :lol: The arrangement was an easy YES to me. Listening to this when it came out for DoD's Castlevania month, I remembered being low on the sound quality when SnappleMan and I shot the shit over the results. I can understand how the production cost it a few points in the voting:

<Liontamer> aight, Kidd Cabbage

<Liontamer> about :20-in; nice opening, definitely gets your attention to see where it’s gonna go

<Liontamer> The Kidd Cabbage is pretty nice; crazy synth work, but the production is weak

<SnappleMan> he overdid it

<Liontamer> but still, I’d have rather seen it swap 5th with Scared Sim, IMO

<SnappleMan> his big thing is production, it’s all he cares about

<Liontamer> doesn’t sound nearly as clean as it should

I think it's pretty clear I enjoyed this track. It should be anyway. My heart says YES borderline, but, when I'm honest with myself, I wouldn't let this level of production slide otherwise, so I'm gonna have to be a dick and go NO (borderline). I could see this passing, albeit because the arrangement is too strong and the production isn't enough to drag it down, so good luck with the rest of the vote, Jon.

Another piece that nicely rocks my socks in terms of arrangement. CV fans should get a kick out of it. Love the synth stuff, and the grungy guitars. I'm afraid I gotta agree with Larry here though; there's a messy, over-compressed sound that pervades the mix, and it's especially evident when those cymbals come in at the end. Not a fan in that respect.

Unfortunately I'm gonna have to say NO.

BTW I'm sorry to hear about your project files. That's a terrible thing to happen to anyone. :(

Unfortunately, I'm basically copying what Larry and Shariq have already said. I loved the arrangement. Castlevania always lends itself well to these sorts of prog metal arrangements, and this one has a lot of great ideas. Interesting harmonies, great soloing, fun dynamics. I too had a hard time hearing "Entrance Hall" or "In the Castle", but there's still plenty of connection to the other songs.

The song is just too muddy though. The cymbals especially eat into the other instruments. There was also a lot of reverb on some of those synths, which made the overall song hard to hear. It just feels like it needs more clarity and bite. It's definitely a shame that you lost the sources because I don't think there's a lot of work that would need to be done, but in its current state, it's just not there.

NO