Mario Kart: Super Circuit - Try Again!

eviljoker7075

Hey guys! Just been messing aruond with Ableton Live and found myself making this... thought you might like to hear it... I've always loved losing a race in MK Super Circuit, just for the lush music that's played!!

I hope I have done it justice, if only in some small way! Any suggestions and comments welcome!

Here's a link to the mp3: http://www.filefactory.com/file/2861b6/

Also, just in case you're not familiar wih it, or have forgotten it here's a midi of the original: http://www.vgmusic.com/music/console/nintendo/gba/SMKSC_Retry.mid

Linking to MIDI - GOOD IDEA! It certainly helps.

The first sound is much better than the rest. Sorry man. at 0:19, I was already expecting something else to come in, and when the drums come in, they come alone. Quick cut from 0:19 to 0:38. It'll kill some length, but it'll make it more interesting when you don't have to wait for stuff to happen.

The bass that comes in soon after seem to suffer some key issues on the second half of the region. The soundscape gets pretty cool after that, and I like what you've done with the snare. The hihat is just reallly annoying. Give it more life and make it less annoying. When it finally stops, it just feels so much easier to listen to. More life or less annoying. Use more hihats, open, closed, half open... And don't be afraid to use crashes or rides.

The sounds you've used are pretty cool, and they've got loads of life. Get rid of the hihat form the 3:02-3:05 snare roll. Please! it sounds completely ridiculous. The part that it leads into also needs to be more different from the previous section. A change in key, a change in isntruments, a change in rhythm (please), something.

The ending is a little long too, and the whole piece felt like it never got to the point. Make the 3:07-3:58 section be the big finale. First half build-up, second half grande finale. Then you could shorten the ending or keep it, but the whole thing would feel more complete.

And see if you can cut stuff out of repetition whenever you can.

I do like the sound of this, but it's still in such a stage that I can't listen to it as a finished piece without thinking "oh, that's from inexperience, that's from budget samples, that's from limited musical knowledge". So, more work needed, but great job so far. Listen to some other pieces in this style.

And make sure to come back with a better version of this! Because that's gonna be great. You've mastered the "filling up of the soundscape", you should now focus on "cutting out redundant stuff" and "direction". So far, great work!

• 3 weeks later...