Name: Daniel Gooding

Email: Silentcomposition@yahoo.com

UserId: 22379

Name Of Game: Final Fantasy VI

Name Of Remix: A Very Moogle Holiday

Name Of Original Song: Mog Theme

Original Song Link

Additional Comments

In the spirit of the holidays, I questioned what it would be like to celebrate christmas inside the world of final fantasy. It was odd at first making a minor key song into a joyous song, but it turned out how I wanted it too. Hope this helps people remember the feeling of christmas morning. Made it with Sonar, and Dimension Pro.

Great atmosphere until the brass comes in. Percussion is definitely not doing it for me. It's the same two beat pattern over and over again. Piano sequencing is also really mechanical. Maybe it's supposed to sound like that; toy factory and all that, but still. Actually everything sounds really mechanical in this.

I dunno man, I like the arrangement, but it's just the execution that's not doing it for me. Using the Prelude was a nice touch.

The fadeout ending sounds like a cop-out more than anything else.

This could be better after a resub; dunno if you'll feel like resubbing after Christmas though. NO, resub

Loved the mood here, very Christmasy. I got a very warm feeling listening to it. You use a wide array of instruments effectively, and the interpretation was inspired. I especially liked the woodwind section starting at 1:29. Really, my only complaint in the writing was the ending. While there's nothing wrong with a fadeout, it was an unusual section to fade out on and it felt out-of-place.

The patterns are pretty mechanical, and it starts to wear over the course of the song. To your credit, you have a lot of parts and it's a smaller issue here than it is in many remixes, but when the percussion pattern hits the same way every time, AND the piano, AND the brass, that repetition takes its toll. Even minor humanizations like volume changes really add to the listening life of a song. Your mix is pretty close and it would only take a little bit of work to put it over the bar. I definitely hope you fix it up and resubmit!

NO (resubmit)

http://snesmusic.org/v2/download.php?spcNow=ff6 - "Mog" (ff6-217.spc)

http://www.zophar.net/nsf/ff1.zip - Track 1

Nothing major to add to DarkeSword and Palpable's observations. The fadeout wasn't a bad concept, but wasn't pulled off well. As is, it exposed the poor brass sample too much and left 5 seconds of silence at the end of the MP3, which was sloppy. I'd argue it also dragged on and should have either been a bit shorter (50 seconds was too long here) or had the inclusion of some new material or variation of those verses during the 50 seconds.

Overall, definitely a beautiful arrangement concept, just not fully realizing its potential. The mechanical sequencing of the verses repeating the exact same way with the same intensity each time pulls this way down, plus the lazy repetition of the vanilla percussion pattern from :54-1:46 which made this so much more plodding. If you refined those weaker aspects, you'd be good to go, Daniel. Promising first submission.

NO (resubmit)