First song - Top Gear remix

Hey, I just recently became interesting in remixing and arranging, and I'm trying to learn as fast as possible. I made my first song the other day (at least the first one that I didn't think was absolute garbage) and I wanted to get some feedback and advice so I can make it better and try some new stuff.

It's called Nitro Raceway, and it's a remix of Track 3 from Top Gear on SNES.

http://www.sendspace.com/file/oq0isl

Thanks for your help, guys.

I'm currently too lazy to compare to source, so I can't comment on the source/original content ratio.

Anyway, this sounds like top score music from some snowboarding game. Not enough nitro. I think the drums are what's causing this problem, they're too groovin'/chillin' and not enough rockin' or racin', if you know what I mean. Try out something with more regular snare timing. Consider double-timing it, too.

I can't judge from my laptop speakers, and am too lazy to listen through headphones, but it sounds like it's lacking bass. Add bass.

And lose the sound effects. Especially the short drive-bys and the voice.

But since you've "just recently became interesting in remixing and arranging", this is impressive.

...and try some new stuff.

That's exactly what you need to do. Everything in this song is super generic. The drum loop is instantly recognizable as an overused sample, the lead synth sounds exactly like Slayer (a bad thing even if it's not Slayer), and the car zooms, voice and scratch samples are cliche.

It's all understandable since it's one of your first songs. Draw some inspiration from the creative work on OCR, and DNB in general, and keep at it. Get your hands on some different sounds and start messing around with settings to get a different sound.