OCR01791 - *YES* Donkey Kong Country 2 'Lava Dead Beat'

Liontamer

Remix Info

ReMixer name: Battlerager & Scaredsim

ReMix name : Lava Dead Beat

Name of source music : Hot-Head Bop

Game Info : Donkey Kong Country 2 (Snes)

Arrangement : Battlerager

Production & Re-recording : Scaredsim

Hi, OCR.

The original arrangement of this one was Battlerager's entry at Dwelling of Duels in May 2007 : Fire VS Ice month.

I always loved the composition here, there just wasn't any mixing, which cost that bad ranking I think.

I recently got Battlerager okay to rework and refine it for trying getting it on OCR. Here it is !

Thanks.

---------------------------------------------------------------

http://snesmusic.org/v2/download.php?spcNow=dkq - "Hot-Head Bop" (dkq-09.spc)

Pretty good arrangement. I didn't have a problem with the drum tone, but it felt like there was a fair amount of empty space in the soundscape for some portions (e.g. :48-1:16, 3:12-3:23), and something to pad that out would have filled things out without compressing the dynamic curve. Not a huge deal.

Solid stuff, and very creative treatment of the theme, IMO, one of DKC2's most memorable.

YES

This sounds awesome! Sometimes I felt the guitar was a bit dry but that was more personal taste. Feels like some sounds could've occupied a tiny bit more space (the bass was NOT one of them ;P) but overall the production on this one was good enough.

Arrangement is pretty sweet too, not too crazy but in a very good way. The drum programming was varied, the playing was good and the switch between sections were smooth.

Overall, this is good. Nice one!

YES

• 4 weeks later...

Great arrangement, guys. This is one of my favorite sources from DKC2, and this was an inspired take on the theme. The guitar work in this is really good, sometimes subtly, with those short, quick runs. I love the section starting at 1:50 that offers us several different guitar parts, one at a time. It's like a Brazilian steakhouse for guitars, and I'm keeping my card turned to green. (Strange that as a vegetarian, this is the analogy that comes to mind.)

Arrangement feels a little bottom-heavy and at times, it gets muddy in those low regions. I would have taken the bass down some, and tried to bring out the backing guitars more in the upper ranges. They sound a little dull, maybe too EQed. I second AnSo's comment that the instruments could have taken up more space.

Still, I got no problem passing this. Arrangement kicks ass and the production is mostly there.

YES