Complete newbie with FL :(

Can someone walk me through the steps I need to take to sucessfully import a MIDI file made in Finale, and assign each channel generated as a result the appropiate Garritan instrument in order to get some sound out of FL Studio?

I've got no idea what I'm doing, and every tutorial I've come across assumes that I have at least some basic knowledge with FL Studio or similar programs already, and I can't figure any of it out.

I'd be happy to move to IRC instead of the forums also if that's easier for people...just let me know!

File > Import > MIDI file > whateverisyourfile.mid

Assuming it loads, you should see the step sequencer filled with several midi out vsts. Clicking on one of them will bring up the midi out window. To give each midi out their own instrument, click on the list next to patch and select one of the options.

If you aren't getting any sound out of FL, try options > midi settings. Put the Microsoft MIDI Mapper port number to 0.

Load up an instance of Garritan in a new channel. Now set the port number (top right of plugin window) to 0. Now load up your instruments in garritan and take note of the midi channel numbers that each instrument is matched with. Now in each midi-out's settings change the port to 0 and the channel to the instrument you'd like for that channel. Now Garritan should play those sounds.

I'm assuming that Garritan accepts midi messages on different channels.

^Thanks! I've now got sound via General MIDI, but I'd like to utilize the nicer samples I've got. Happen to know how to make the jump from the general midi patch number to my Garritan (or any other sample library, in theory) sounds?

right click on the midi channel (little square oval thing with the instrument name) -> Replace -> choose vst or soundfont player you want to use.