OCR02026 - *YES* Golden Axe 2 'Battle Axe-Wielding Dwarf'

OceansAndrew

A very cool source with a great melody- awesome way to start out!

The orchestral intro was what I was sortof expecting, and I thought the theme a few times seemed a little far back in the mix- woodwinds and flute, but once everything else kicked in, I was sold. A cool beat, excellent new rhythms, and the guitar and synth doubling the lead hard panned sounded really cool. Some cool breakdowns, and a good sense of pacing.

Production was solid except for the few instances of the woodwinds being too far back. Everything else was very crisp and well-balanced. Nice work. :-)

yes

A lot of personalization going on in the clever orchestral/electronic instrumentation and new dynamics, but this is very conservative for the first 1:46. Follows the melodies of the original almost exactly, with some minor change-ups in structure. Same with 2:17-2:46. The other minute and a half of this has some cool riffing with the melodies and soloing and felt more interpretive. Close call on account of the conservative arrangement, but I think I'll go YES. I liked the creative genre mixing, and the last minute added some much needed interpretation. Probably would have liked it more with some changed-up backing parts.

YES

• 3 weeks later...

I was expecting this to stay as an orchestral mix throughout, but once things kicked in I was pleasantly surprised. The pacing overall worked just right; the changes of instrumentation/style came at just the right time to make me want to keep listening. I will have to agree with Vinnie that the biggest drawback on the arrangement is the larger sections that remain very conservative. I would have loved to have more changes with the backing/melody, especially seeing what was done with original sections.

Production is for the most part really good, except for those couple of orchestral instruments that placed a little too far back. The samples at 0:17 and 1:23 can be just a bit more prominent.

Conservative at times, but a good style change and nice production. YES

Tasty source. Your take is (at first) conservative but evolves with time, taking some nice turns. The first half of the track is generally the weak point, the all orchestral intro is a weak link for me because the samples and mixing are especially off. The brass and most articulations in general are just very flat and fake.

The electronic stuff and piano are well handled though and the guitar is a great addition. The production could use a bit more punch and clarity but overall it's solid (except for previously mentioned orchestral elements). The arrangement is really good though, the piano part is a nice change of pace and there's a good direction.

Overall, this just about squeaks by for me. It had weak areas but together it was just enough for me to pass it.

YES(borderline)