* Email: luhn@gmx.at

* UserID: 30857

Submission Information

* Game: Final Fantasy Legend 2

* Song: Burning Blood

* Add.Info.: Kenji Ito, Nobuo Uematsu, Gameboy, 1990

* Link to original: http://www.fantasyanime.com/saga/ffl2_burningblood1.mid

* Own comments:

There is probably no childhood memory of mine that I am more fond of than Final Fantasy Legend 2 for the Gameboy. I cannot recall how many times and with how many different partys I played this one. The most memorable thing about it is - in my opinion - the music. Burning Blood has accompanied me in my head over all those years and still is present as a melody that just makes me smile. I did a remix of this 5 years ago and tried to give the song a rock/metal flair to it. But I was absolutely clueless in terms of recording and mixing - as well as my guitar skill lacking. I was never satisfied with what I did there. Five years later I was able to make up with myself by doing another remix of this song. Finally it sounds like what I had in mind all those years before. I am happy with what came out in the end and I would like to share my joy with all of you. If this piece of music can at least give you a little hint of an nostalgic smile then I am already glad to have shared this one. Production wise I just want to say that the guitar parts are made via a Line6 Guitar Port and Propellerhead's Reason for the drum lines rewired into Cubase where I did the mixing. Well I guess that's it, I hope you enjoy listening. Take care

---------------------------------------------------------------

Burning Blood

Nice crisp sound overall, though I think it could stand to be normalized a bit and brought up slightly. Besides the slightly lower levels, I think the production was at the bar. I think doing 2 rhythm guitar takes and hard panning them would have improved the soundfield, but as is, it has more of a live sound to it. Playing was solid, and the solo was great, nice chops and some tasteful melodic parts.

The arrangement was definitely on the conservative side, but besides the obvious genre conversion and added percussion, there were some new backing parts, and a early on modal shift. There was also additional harmonies to the main melody added throughout, and a more interpretive bridge section. Definitely a closer call, but this is well beyond a performed midi rip + drums. The other judges may not feel the same way, however, so good luck with that. :-)

I'd love to have heard a little more creativity with the arrangement, but there is something to be said about taking an excellent source song, expanding on it in a lot of positive ways, and paying tribute to the original composer with a very recognizable remix.

yes

Tough call. A lot of things here are really tight, including the awesome chops, the drum programming, the soloing, the energy. Pretty much what I didn't like was that the first half was pretty conservative, instruments could have been brighter, and the drums also sounded a little dry and far forward. I'll go YES though. Thought you had enough changes with the rhythm guitars and drum programming, and some cool riffing on the source melodies near the end. I would have liked to see that kind of thing all the way through, but this still seems like a pass.

YES

The genre adaption is natural, and the you made a nice smooth transition into it with this mix. Everything works pretty well together, and overall it's an enjoyable piece to listen to. It's a bit of a tough call on the actual arrangement side of things, since a lot of the mix stays very conservative to the original melodies. There's little doubt that you have the ability to make a fuller arrangement; your solo and the additional backing stuff I'm hearing has some nice writing. Your next mix better show off more of that skill!

Production is pretty good as well as the balance. The track is clear, and there isn't anything difficult to make out, but the volume of the entire mix is a little low (which cuts out a little bit of energy), and could use a bit of a boost. Also, I'm going to agree with OA on the panning. Right now every instrument is sitting dead center, and you could really open up the soundscape with some panning.

This is a really close call, but I think the arrangement squeaks by and the production is there. The track is enjoyable to listen to as is, and it's nice to see that you really stuck with the track after such a long time. YES (borderline)

• 2 weeks later...

This is a pretty solid track. Like others before me have said, the arrangement is a bit conservative. You definitely could've altered the melodies a bit, especially considering how many times you run through them. However there are some modifications including chords, bridge and solo.

Production was a bit thin, definitely could've added some more bass presence and panned out the rhythm guitars to make them a bit more spacious. Wouldn't have a problem with a volume push either ;)

This is balancing on the edge here because both production and arrangement could've been kicked up a notch. However, I think it just squeaks by. Do take the criticism to heart for your next sub though.

YES(borderline)