Guitar Wrist Position.

Bent Wrists are usually bad aren't they?

I mean, when I play from the first fret, I have to bend my wrist, or the palm of my index finger rests on the high e string.

Now that I think of it, the palm of my index finger always rests on the high e string, unless I bend my wrist some.

I don't want to fuck up my wrist playing again.

Any help? Pics would be nice to as to direct a fix.

Play piano at all? The idea is to have reach and arc. It takes a long time to get used to this, but the preferred hand position for guitar riffing is to have your thumb resting on the middle of the back of the neck.

Some guitars have a line drawn on the middle for a guide. Anyway, your thumb should be perpendicular to the neck, and your four fingers, when resting on the 1st, 2nd, 3rd, 4th frets (as if your were about to play a chromatic excercise), should be parallel to the neck. It'll feel uncomfortable and weird at first, but once you've mastered the position you'll find that you have a lot more control, speed, and reach.

Play piano at all? The idea is to have reach and arc. It takes a long time to get used to this, but the preferred hand position for guitar riffing is to have your thumb resting on the middle of the back of the neck.

Some guitars have a line drawn on the middle for a guide. Anyway, your thumb should be perpendicular to the neck, and your four fingers, when resting on the 1st, 2nd, 3rd, 4th frets (as if your were about to play a chromatic excercise), should be parallel to the neck. It'll feel uncomfortable and weird at first, but once you've mastered the position you'll find that you have a lot more control, speed, and reach.

The whole thumb in the middle doesn't work for me.

The reason being, is it puts an immense amount of tension on my wrist. The last time I used that technique, not saying it doesn't work, but for some things, like lower frets, cause me to bend my wrist, and with out bending it, I couldn't make ceartain formations. and I then ended up on a wrist splint for 3 weeks.

Check the angle of your thumb. I've played bass (both electric and double) for over 10 years and my first injury was due to hyper extending my fretting hand. If you are new to the instrument and haven't developed the dexterity yet then DON'T LEARN FROM THE FIRST FRET UP! Alot of would have been musicians learn string instruments from left extreme to right extreme and then take the tension and awkwardness all the way up and down the neck until they get hurt. Pick something towards the middle of the neck to practice easy, relaxed fretting technique. The 12th fret works great if you are also starting to read music for the instrument. Sure it's and octave higher but it will be easier and more natural. Breathe and stay relaxed. 8-)