OCR01436 - *YES* Guardian Legend 'Starflake Jazz'

djpretzel

The first ReMix I ever wrote, "Red Spiders", was from Guardian Legend.... so I guess this is like a return to my roots. I have a strong personal attachment to this GAME where as with all of my other remixes, my attachment was primarily to the composers. Miyamo Shant [or Michael as I like to call him since his name phonetically in spanish means "my call"..... actually I'm pretty shocked that this isn't already his official nickname] is a decent composer, but I wouldn't study his stuff in the same way I do my other favorite composers. Guaridan Legend is a game that I absolutely adored as a child, so this source tune was chosen out of nostalgia since corridors 5, 6, 15, and 16 were my favorites corridors [and area 10 was my favorite area {red spiders}]. When I wrote this I had been listening to The Elastic Band's new album "momentum" and so everything I wrote came out sounding like this.... I couldn't help it, as a result I have my first real "Jazz" remix.... not counting that embarrasing little song over at VGMix.

http://www.zophar.net/nsf/guardian.zip - Track 6

Cool jazzy stuff for the intro before the melody came in at :23. It was a little low in volume, but anything lourder could have turned annoying with the way the lead modulates; kinda piercing.

Everything's very, very funky and groovy, and locks together well, despite the disjointed way the casual listeners may feel about Sam's stuff. Though I wish the sound was richer, I like how he manages to pull a good sound of out the faux slap-bass once again, moving to another groovier section at 1:37.

Cool e-piano work at 2:16. I'm just really liking how Sam was able to get so much mileage out of the source material for a very admirable genre adaptation style arrangement. It's very synthetic per the usual for these "oddball" mixes of his, but well put-together.

I liked the change in speed and style at 3:44 for a more laid-back last section. The general tempo here ensures that a lot of substance was crammed into the 4:47. The panel may not have worked out for you, but the music thing always does. Not quite as solid as some other stuff of yours like the original "Symbiotic Funk", as some of the sounds in the forefront are a little thin but an easy addition to my playlist. Now onto "Behold the Winged Cathedral"...

YES

It's pretentious and self-aggrandizing, JUST LIKE SHANE!

Though my TGL bias will shine through irregardless, this is an extremely well done piece. A perfect example of clean complexity. Density that does not suffer from clutter because of its meticulous planning. The source material is only like, what, 8 measures long? But each movement of this piece has it's own... environment. A texture, sound, cadence, timbre, feel. Whathaveyous.

Good stuff. Too bad shane Shane sucks as a judge so we had to kick him out 8O

YES

who the hell is shane?

odd that the bass is panned left.

This isnt one of my favorite shnabubula tracks; i dont think it's as texturally rich as some of his other pieces.

However the arrangement is undeniably sophisticated and enjoyable, and the chops are very tight.

good stuff as usual. although perhaps "usual" isnt a word that appropriately describes sam.

YES

The arrangement is good, interesting - to be expected from shna. Great ending to boot (my favorite part).

The texture of the mix is at times thin and weak though. It's not as strong as some of your other mixes.

Now for my gripe, the production is incredibly bland here and dare I say, weak. It's not the samples or the synth quality. Those are acceptable, the synth in particular is nice. But this is substandard production. There's nothing going on here in terms of interesting processing, reverb, or delay. It gives a bland sound throughout. Mixing is fine though, but I'd personally have wanted this to be a touch louder and with some more eq tweaks. The snare for example sounds bland - some eq and compression would really help spice up the sound. Left panned bass is a bit unusual too. Though I'm hesitant to call that a problem per se. I think it would have been better suited in the center.

Good arrangement, but the production is lazy. We expect more from you shna. I think it makes the grade, regardless. Borderline YES.