A Super Mario Bros Stage Theme

Xouman

• 2 weeks later...
Very catchy indeed.

I don't want to sound annoying or sarcastic or mean BUT I feel like this is, in fact, very very uncatchy! Mostly to do with the fact that the timing is all over the place. But also the fact that there's very very little repetition and the piece seems to be a kinda stream-of-consciousness explosion of disparate rhythms and melodies.

I think, if you want to write something catchy you need to use more repetition - be that a set of notes, a short rhythmic phrase, whatever. (think about how much rhythm repetition there is in beethoven's fifth symphony and how bloody catchy it is because of it! Literally dum dum dum duuuum - that rhythm is repeated to a ridiculous degree) The notes change but they also keep the shape of the melody. that's another thing - keeping the shape of a melody with slight variation. Listen to various mario themes and see what parts are repeated (notes-wise and rhythms-wise) and base your piece on that!

I hope you don't see this as a negative comment but more a realistic and encouraging one. I get the exciting feeling and mario-esque instrumentation but catchy is certainly not the word i'd use because it in fact so difficult to catch - i'd challenge anyone to listen to this a few times and then hum along to it.

I don't want to sound annoying or sarcastic or mean BUT I feel like this is, in fact, very very uncatchy! Mostly to do with the fact that the timing is all over the place. But also the fact that there's very very little repetition and the piece seems to be a kinda stream-of-consciousness explosion of disparate rhythms and melodies.

I think, if you want to write something catchy you need to use more repetition - be that a set of notes, a short rhythmic phrase, whatever. (think about how much rhythm repetition there is in beethoven's fifth symphony and how bloody catchy it is because of it! Literally dum dum dum duuuum - that rhythm is repeated to a ridiculous degree) The notes change but they also keep the shape of the melody. that's another thing - keeping the shape of a melody with slight variation. Listen to various mario themes and see what parts are repeated (notes-wise and rhythms-wise) and base your piece on that!

I hope you don't see this as a negative comment but more a realistic and encouraging one. I get the exciting feeling and mario-esque instrumentation but catchy is certainly not the word i'd use because it in fact so difficult to catch - i'd challenge anyone to listen to this a few times and then hum along to it.

Gonna have to back up ol' Calum here. Rhythmic and melodic weirdness can be very cool, but I don't feel like I have anything to latch onto in this one, beat-wise OR structurally