*NO* Mega Man 3 'Wily's Last Defence'

Chimpazilla

Hi there, here's a track I just finished. :)

Your ReMixer name
Ianuarius

Your real name
Juha Keränen

Your email address

Your website

Your userid (number, not name) on our forums, found by viewing your forum profile

Name of game(s) arranged
Mega Man 3

Name of arrangement
Wily's Last Defence

Name of individual song(s) arranged
Dr. Wily Theme 2

Additional information about game including composer, system, etc. (if it has not yet been added to the site)
Composer: Yasuaki Fujita, System: NES, Release year: 1990

Link to the original soundtrack (if it is not one of the sound archives already available on the site)
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JXrqr4OKASM

Your own comments about the mix, for example the inspiration behind it, how it was made, etc.
I posted one track a few years back but it was more of a meddley so it wasn't picked up. I learned from that experience and now made this thing. Still love Mega Man and MM3 is my absolute favorite from the series.

Thanks!
Edited by Liontamer
closed decision

This is a good conservative rock version of this source, short and sweet, but I think the mixing isn't there yet.  The guitars are crispy and sound like they have been boosted in the mids and highs.  The drums sound a bit odd, the kick is quiet and the snare has a woody tone.  The drumming is somewhat on autopilot other than during the transitions.  I can't really hear the string backing although I know it is there.  Definitely needs another shot at the mixing but this is a good start!

NO (resubmit)

Yeah you've got too many instruments fighting in the mids. I can hear the lead nice and clear but the other instruments are difficult to make out, particularly the strings. Try to A-B comparison your song with a song in this style if you haven't already. If you have, maybe ask help from someone who is more familiar with rock arrangements. Arrangement-wise, this was short but sweet. Really liked the new section at 0:47 and especially the outro, which seemed to play with the A-section a little bit. More in the vein of the ending would be cool to hear, rather than it being a conservative take on Wily, then a totally original section. That's just food for thought. The only problem for me is the mixing.

NO (resubmit)

Just sanity-checking the source tune usage:

04.5-:44.5, 1:29.5-2:09.5 = 80 seconds or 54.4% overt source usage

The mixing's rough in that you can't distinguish much of the supporting instrumentation (except the percussion, which sounds solid). There's string writing in there... somewhere... in the background, but it's trampled on by the guitar chugs. The string articulations sounded pretty unrealistic from what I could make out, so it's possble cleaning this up would expose the samples more, but you're going to have to improve the string realism if that's the case.

When the source melody arrived again at 1:29, I wish the presentation had been more differentiated from the first time around; for example, the (extremely muddy, barely audible) string accents were exactly the same.

Regardless though, even though the track was short, the treatment of the source tune was personalized well enough with the added part-writing and live guitar performance. Even if more melodic interpretation could have been included, the expansion of the parts surrounding the melody helped, plus the original sections connected seamlessly with the Wily theme.

You just need to reduce the background clutter here while preserving the power, so that this isn't mainly just the lead guitar and background chugs.

And just noting I didn't even read the other votes until I wrote everything above, so we're all hearing the same issues and praising the same things. Hopefully, you choose to come back to this one and give it the production tweaks it needs so we can post it. Great start, Juha! Even if this mix doesn't go up in some form, you definitely have what it takes to get a piece approved, so don't give up!

NO (resubmit)