Final Fantasy 6 - Grand Finale and Gestahl Empire ( Remastered )

Xouman

Not bad, but these could be taken further. How long did this take?

I don't know if you wanted these to sound like a real orchestra was playing, but currently they don't. Did you adjust any velocities on your samples? No matter how high fidelity your samples are, with nonvarying and overly-quantized velocities, they're not going to sound realistic. Currently everything's just locked to the grid (listen to the drums on the second track and it's easiest to notice with those), and as a result these instruments are lacking expression.

It would really help to slightly offset the rhythm of the velocities (even a few ms helps...) and adjust their magnitudes (not randomly; listen to the difference) so that they emulate how real instrumentalists play their instruments. That's going to take lots of practice to do well, though I understand if it feels like I'm making a big deal out of nothing.

Also, small semantics thing, but real and realistic aren't the same thing; real is physically touchable, but realistic emulates real, and these aren't real instruments---they're aiming to be realistic. :)

Not bad, but these could be taken further. How long did this take?

I don't know if you wanted these to sound like a real orchestra was playing, but currently they don't. Did you adjust any velocities on your samples? No matter how high fidelity your samples are, with nonvarying and overly-quantized velocities, they're not going to sound realistic. Currently everything's just locked to the grid (listen to the drums on the second track and it's easiest to notice with those), and as a result these instruments are lacking expression.

It would really help to slightly offset the rhythm of the velocities (even a few ms helps...) and adjust their magnitudes (not randomly; listen to the difference) so that they emulate how real instrumentalists play their instruments. That's going to take lots of practice to do well, though I understand if it feels like I'm making a big deal out of nothing.

Also, small semantics thing, but real and realistic aren't the same thing; real is physically touchable, but realistic emulates real, and these aren't real instruments---they're aiming to be realistic. :)

No,i didn't wanted to make them sound like a real orchestra(i don't have the powerful libraries to do that anyway),i wanted to see what can it sounds without the 16-bit limitations,thanks for your detailed advice and i like your last sentence.

Well, for Grand Finale Remastered, it sounds like the timpani is playing an octave too high. And you could put a crescendo at 0:40, a fortepiano at 0:43, then crescendo at 0:48. For dynamics sake. Same at 1:16. And you could crescendo some more from 1:32 to the end.

The snare drum in The Gestahl Empire Remastered seems awfully bright.

You should really listen to some real orchestras. Maybe even in person, to get a taste for instrument ranges and dyamics. Try looking for Gustav Holst - The Planets Suite. (It's one of my favorites.) Or maybe the 2012 Final Fantasy Orchestral Album will be more to your tastes. And I would definitely recommend investing in a sample library.