*NO* Shovel Knight 'Poison Flowers'

Chimpazilla

This started out so similar to the source that I had to check if it was a midi rip.  It sure isn't!  Those wubs, what a cool idea!  I have to say though that this mix overall is too sparse.  If you filled out the soundscape with pads and countermelodies and sequences and drum fills and stuff, this would rock, but I'm only hearing one instrument and drums sometimes, and it really needs to be more full.  The drum patterns and all the writing is quite simple.  The dubstep parts could be so excellent, but you've got to make those wubs really shine.  I recommend putting a little bit of reverb on them, on a short echo preset.  Also, you need to have some bass playing at the same time or give the wubs some lows!  

I paneled this because I really love the approach here.  It needs a lot of work but I'm hoping you will put in the effort and send this back.  Throw this into our wip forum and see what other advice you get!

NO (resubmit)

• Chimpazilla changed the title to 2015/08/30 - (1N) Shovel Knight 'Poison Flowers'

The environment was quite sparse and the different synths were very dry.  Each wub felt like it was on its own and not really part of a cohesive arrangement, in dubstep you want to tie those up well so they flow better between each other.  The drum sequencing was minimal and the last section at 2:46 didn't even have a kick going with it.  The vocal bits were dry, plain and exposed.  The source wasn't used in an interesting way either, as the drop bears little to no relation to the source picked. This is too barebones and simple. 

NO

• Sir_NutS changed the title to 2015/08/30 - (2N) Shovel Knight 'Poison Flowers'

Yeah, definitely on the same page as my fellow J's above.  There are some cool elements and synths in play here.  Overall, though, the mix sounds really empty, especially once it gets going with the dirty wubs.  The arrangement feels overly simplistic and too dependent on the extended wub breakdowns.

I'll add that the general sound levels are quite low, which makes me think you may be new to mastering compression and mixing in general.  

Just want to say don't be discouraged.  I'd definitely recommend spending some time on the WIP boards to get some more realtime feedback on your work to help improve these types of issues.

NO

• Nutritious changed the title to 2015/08/30 - (3N) Shovel Knight 'Poison Flowers'