Old 01-17-2013, 07:13 PM
Truong-Son "Timaeus" (Tim-AHY-uhs) Nguyen
Bonus-Kun (+3000)
OC ReMix Artist Profile

The link works, but I'd suggest using a host that is better oriented to music hosting, like box, soundcloud, tindeck, etc.

The new lead sounds pretty good, but it can sound even better. Try adding a slow LFO to modify the tone as it's playing. Maybe synched to a 1/1 or 2/1 rate? (that means 1 cycle per bar or 1 cycle per 2 bars respectively)

That remix I mentioned earlier, "Jazz Castle Adventure", is a great example of a really good sync lead.

Sponsored Links

Please join us the next two weeks supporting our sponsor, Theatrhythm Final Fantasy Curtain Call™!!
Old 01-21-2013, 08:01 PM
Snacks 'N Jaxson (+25)

This update is mostly micro-improvements. I added some slight vibrato at some parts, increased the pulse-width LFO depth on the main sync lead, changed instrumentation up a bit near the end(although with very simplistic sound design,) and other stuff. This version has an audio glitch right as the drop effect happens before the bass drop. It will certainly be removed before the final submission.

(outdated link removed)

Last edited by lazerblade; 02-05-2013 at 10:30 PM.
Old 01-22-2013, 03:59 PM
Bonus-Kun (+3000)
OC ReMix Artist Profile

I heard the vibrato. It's good, keep doing stuff like that throughout. Add things most people wouldn't notice, and eventually it'll turn out to improve the song a lot. Don't be afraid to modify the melody a bit more, either.

Old 01-29-2013, 11:43 PM
Snacks 'N Jaxson (+25)

https://dl.dropbox.com/s/n6ybmmgfxd4...0-%20WIP13.mp3

I only hope I can make this awesome before I get really sick of it. My creativity and inspiration have gone elsewhere, and this isn't exactly a style I've heard on OCR before. I'm not feeling optimistic, but please do provide criticism and feedback anyway. I think I've squeezed just about enough out of this interpretation of this track, so I'm wanting to finish it and move on. Maybe I'll come back in the future and spin it a different way.
Old 01-30-2013, 12:36 AM
Bonus-Kun (+3000)
OC ReMix Artist Profile

Production sounds good as it is now, good job!

Old 01-30-2013, 02:34 AM
Snacks 'N Jaxson (+25)

Quote:
Production sounds good as it is now, good job!
Yay! Coming from you, whose music I recently listened to and adored, that is very encouraging.

Status upped to finished. Mod review to come in 48 hours if there are no other fixes to make.
Old 02-01-2013, 12:42 AM
Snacks 'N Jaxson (+25)

Ready for mod review. After a 48 hour break I don't hear a bunch of glaring issues listening to this track again, so I'm hoping it's up to snuff.
Old 02-02-2013, 07:13 AM
Greg Nourse, Workshop Moderator
Strider Hiryu (+5000)
OC ReMix Artist Profile

Send a message via AIM to Gario Send a message via Skype™ to Gario
MOD REVIEW

Mmm, the production is much tighter on this one. Nice work cleaning that up for us.

On it's own, I like the track - it builds up to the source material and pulls some funky maneuvers over the source once it gets to he guts of it all. However, as an OCR submission I don't think it would pass, solely because it really does sound too close to the source structurally. Changing the melody around, or a chord here and there won't be able to amend this - it's at the very form of the song that you arranged that the OCR judges would have issue with.

Mind you, it's not an issue with the track that would give you grief on the panel, it's an idiosyncrasy of the site (and it's requirement that the song not sound too much like a 'cover') that is the issue. The style/genre is similar to the original, the form takes no liberties and the themes that are there are played very straight, which puts it in a place that OCR will probably not accept, and for this track there's little that you can do about that.

I enjoy it quite a bit for what it is, so nice work on it. I don't expect it to pass through the panel, though - if you make a new track (probably a different source, as you're probably bored of this one :P) and try to play around with the structure of the track more, as well as placing different sections together in unconventional ways, you'll have a much better chance at passing a track through the panel.

Best of luck, man.

<Insanctuary> I love humility; I eat it for breakfast.
Get involved! The Lufia Album, ORC and PRC are all looking for volunteers!
Old 02-02-2013, 03:51 PM
Snacks 'N Jaxson (+25)

Alrighty then, I officially declare this track done!

I want to thank the both of you for being patient and putting up with it for so long. I learned a ton doing this track, and look forward to doing more of them soon.

I haven't 100% decided whether or not to submit to the judges, but I'm leaning towards no.

I'll show my hand now: I used LMMS to produce this track and Ardour2 to master it. I used open source synths, open source FX, and mostly free samples as well. LMMS has become my DAW of choice, even over FL Studio. I'm hoping that this and future tracks of mine will serve to help dispel the stigma that "LMMS is a neat little idea, but it has a long way to go before you can do anything pro level."