soundcloud.com/devinmorrison

userid: 47765

Submission Information

Dead or Alive 4 (Xbox 360)

I'm Ready (Kasumi Theme) Remix

Purity (Kasumi Theme)

Genre: Fighting; Platform: Xbox 360

http://deadoralive.wikia.com/wiki/Purity

This remix was made as somewhat of a tribute to one of my favorite YouTubers/Gamers, sWooZie who is a fellow Orlando, FL native. He is known to be one of the best DOA fighters in the world having won tournaments and such. With this arrangement, I wanted to showcase versatility. Not many too many compositional devices like retrograde, diminution or augmentation were used. However, there is some transposition, "synthetic modulation", and repetition used absolutely.

The track itself starts off Drum and Bass and then goes into bass rave, then to a "refrain" so to speak to where the arp and pads filter in to introduce the next section. Then comes the sound of Kasumi laughing (taken from a cut scene from Dead or Alive 2 Ultimate). then the famous "Get Ready" phrase from the DOA series, then the sound of Ryu Hayabusa plummeting down to attack Kasumi (taken from Dead or Alive 2 Ultimate as well). Composition-ally, the Dubstep section functions in accordance with Kasumi's will to fight back well and defend herself without wanting to.

Thank you for the opportunity!

---------------------------------------------------------------------

Devin Morrison, Composer

Edited by Palpable
closed

• 4 weeks later...

The arrangement has some good stuff going on, though I am thinking that some of the transitions could stand to be a bit stronger, specifically the release after the dubstep bits near the end. I was expecting a huge climax, and I just got a tiny one. The beat also stays pretty static overall throughout, with no real changeup of rhythm. Either it's there, or it's not. The beat shifts to a shuffle at 3:00ish, but the sections before that could stand to be mixed up more.

The string attack was pretty slow at the 1:09 section and took me out of the groove a bit.

Overall there are some nice arrangement ideas, and the production is mostly there, but seems to lack bass in a few spots, and I think it's close, but a little tune up would get it over the bar for me.

No, please resubmit

I like the work you have put into the instrumentation of this track. The dubstep bits that hit in the middle (and again at the end) were a really nice and unexpected change up. You have some nice lead lines and licks. I actually liked your piano outro, it threw me off because I thought it was gonna end big but it ended soft instead. I was also a big fan of the flutey lead, first heard at 0:44 and more substantially at 0:59.

I thought your drums were ok - they punctured through the mix well and you had rolls here and there to vary stuff, but the main beat started to feel a little loopy over time.

It's a minor crit but worth mentioning - when comparing your track to the source tune, I noticed you are following the original quite closely in both progression and instrument choices (at least at the start of the song). But you do take the track to original places soon after.

The major problem we have here is the bass (or lack thereof). It almost feels like there is a high-pass filter over the entire master bus, making the track very thin. I'm not sure what's happening here, but I would check your EQ on all of your elements and dial some bass back in that you may have removed from each part. Be careful doing this though, you don't want to go to the other extreme and mud up the mix. This is the main thing letting this track down. If we can sort that out we'd be close to success.

NO (please resub)

Plenty of source, and some really great ideas in this track. I have to agree the low end seems really quiet, what a shame because there is some strong bass writing and epic wubbery. Both OA and Jivey nailed it about the drums, they cut through well enough, but the writing sounds somewhat samey after awhile, it would be amazing if you used a softer kit and slightly different writing say at 0:58 when that flute starts. The flute lead feels just a bit loud when it plays. I also feel like the string section is weak, that string sample doesn't make a strong lead, the section starting at 1:09 could be really great with a stronger lead layered together with the strings.

The dubstep sections are really great and the drums you have currently work very well in those two parts. The breakdown is a nice respite from the energy of the track, nice buildup back to 3:00 (and I love the vocal sfx)... then whammo WOW more great dubstep. At 3:22 there is 3 seconds of a really great sounding square lead... 3 seconds... I would love an entire section of this lead!!! The piano in the outro sounds nice, I think this outro works but that teaser 3 second square lead just leaves me grumpy. Do more!

This is close. Bring out the bass a bit, see if you can vary the drums somewhat more, expand that square lead section, and you've got my yes.

NO (please resub)