*NO* Mighty Morphin Power Rangers 'Metallic Butcher'

Chimpazilla

I like the metal production of this song but I find the main synth lead really weak and also too wide of a sound (too many harmonics) to fit well with such a harmonically busy guitar soundscape. The source use is straightforward, no problem there. A little more melodic interpretation would be nice but not necessary. Drums sound good, guitar work is very good... it's just that main lead that is blowing this for me.

NO (resubmit)

• 2 weeks later...

Gotta agree, that lead synth makes this fall short overall. I don't think the sound jives well with the rest of the instrumentation, and the sequencing is unexpressive. Your rhythm guitars are pretty beastly, but it suffers from the same problem I hear in a LOT of metal mixes - the lead is almost completely buried because the rest of it is so loud and compressed.

This mix is also very static in terms of instrumentation... not much to be found in the way of breakdowns or instrumental changeups. This feels underdeveloped, like it just needs a couple additional ideas/variations to make this feel less stale. I'd like to see this spend a bit of additional time in the incubator and have it sent back to us!

NO (resub)

I like where this track is going. Production is quite good, your guitar is audible which is good. I'm happy with source usage.

As my fellow judges have already mentioned, your main synth lead needs work. Volume wise, it's lost in the mix. From a lead perspective, I think a more interesting tone is needed. I would actually consider changing this to something a bit fuller and play with cutoff modulation rather than solely relying on portamento to evolve the sound.

My second suggestion is to vary the second half of the track a bit more, because at present it sounds fairly similar to the first half. You could take the opportunity to drop some kind of breakdown in there, or switch the lead up, something to keep things varied. If you can do this, we're closer to the mark.

NO (please resub)