*NO* Pokémon Mystery Dungeon: Explorers of Time 'Temporal Despair'

Palpable

Remixer Name: TheGuitahHeroe (or just TGH)

Email: jamisonrandall@gmail.com

Game arranged: Pokemon Mystery Dungeon: Explorers of Time/Darkness/Sky (Nintendo DS)

Song arranged: "Temporal Tower" (source: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Bn6yNpgjfP8)

Remix Name: "Temporal Despair"

Sorry, but I can't find anywhere on the internet who the original composer(s) are/is. :(

Anyway, I'd like to start off by asking a question: Why the HELL are there no remixes from this game on the site?! The music from this game is incredible, and I think there should be some remixes of it!

That being said, this is my remix of the Temporal Tower theme from PMD2.

I started this off as a fairly liberal dance-type arrangement, and I didn't really establish any kind of real lead until 00:48, which is when the original melody starts up on piano. I thought piano would really portray a calm feeling throughout the first half of the mix, which would later break down, then build back up again. In the second half I pictured sort of a "pump-em-up, calm-em-down" idea, and juxtaposed a fast "Boston-esque" organ solo with some sweet flutes. I also used the break at 1:32 to transition to a different rhythm, which is a lot closer to the original. . . then, just when you think it's gonna start being just a copy of the original, the organ solo pumps up and says, "Nope, don't think so." :D

So anyway, there's really not that much else to say about it, other than I hope you enjoy it. Haha XD

-----------------------------------------------------------------

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Bn6yNpgjfP8

• 2 weeks later...

I am generally feeling the tone of this one, but there are a few things that could be improved.

The kick and snare overall feel pretty far back in the soundscape. The mix would be a lot stronger and driving if they were more assertive and not pushed back with the reverb. The opening seconds of the mix weren't really flattering due to the basic 4 on the floor pattern with mushy, over-reverbed drums, but as the mix progressed, it did improve, and once the flutes and tuned percussion came in, it was really nice.

The sequencing of the piano was pretty mechanical, but other stuff like the organ sounded pretty good, and the flutes were decent.

The arrangement was a pretty cool take on it, and mixed original parts with the source pretty well. If I were to call it as I hear it, i'd say it leans a bit too liberal, but I think it is close enough on source use.

Overall this is pretty solid, but a lot of production issues pick away at it. I think if you fixed the kick and snare specifically, and maybe got some mroe texture in early on, this would be a pass. Also, having some more overt source certainly wouldn't hurt. I like it, but it's not quite making it.

No, please resubmit

• 3 weeks later...

OA's got it right for this one. I agree that PMD (both the older and newer games) have some fantastic music, and I am liking where you went with the style of this track. I think it's pretty solid arrangement-wise, and I personally don't feel you need any more in there, though it certainly couldn't hurt.

There's not much I can add to what OA said about the production, which is pretty much the same problem I am having with the track. I think that fixing up the mechanical piano and adding a little bit of vibrato to the flute will be the bigger steps for me, but the percussion at the beginning needs to be spruced up as well.

I think it is close, but not quite ready yet. NO (resubmit)

Feeling sort of a "Running Up That Hill"-vibe on this initially, but once the piano comes in, it becomes its own thing. Very nice mood, good combination of instruments. I'll be the third vote in a row here to echo that the kick and snare sound pretty far back which takes away some drive. I also think the song goes a while without a driving beat and it might be better to bring it back sooner. Better articulations on the piano and flute would help out a lot too, they are sounding pretty fake at times. Fix those issues and I'd almost definitely pass this, the arrangement works.

NO (resubmit)