*NO* Sonic the Hedgehog's Gameworld 'SoNICO Colors'

DragonAvenger

Contact Information

Blue Magic (Damon Campbell)

bluemagic1984@hotmail.com

ID# 4656

Submission Information

Game Remixed: Sonic the Hedgehog's GameWorld (Sega PICO)

I'm not really sure what the name of these songs are, so I'll link you to the YouTube Video:

Source used in the video: @ 00:45 (How many players screen). I used this source at the 0:00-0:20 mark.

Kinda did a freestyle from 0:21-1:00 mark.

Source used in video: @ 1:09 (Car Race). I used this at the 1:00-1:20 mark.

Source used in video: YAY!!! Used at the 1:19 & 2:48 marks.

Another freestyle from 1:20-1:40.

Source used in the video: @ 00:45 (How many players screen). I used this source at the 1:40-1:50 mark.

Source used from video: @9:33 (The battle is over). Used from 1:50-2:10.

Freestyle from 2:10-2:30.

Source used in video: @ 1:09 (Car Race). I used this at the 2:30-2:50 mark.

Freestyle from 2:50-3:10.

Source used in the video: @ 00:45 (How many players screen). I used this source at the 3:10.

I hope I didn't make that confusing...

I this mix I wanted to make this mix using some lo-fi samples to create sort of a "retro" feel, while at the same time, making something that sounds like it could have been on the Sonic Colors soundtrack. I wanted it to be kind fast pace. This mix is the most difficult one I've done to date because of the short source tunes, but I still had fun doing it.

You can find the mix posted on my web page here:

Thanks and enjoy,

Damon

--------------------

- 0:45, 1:09, 9:33

There are some points where I don't think you give yourself as much credit for source usage as you should, but overall I think there's plenty in there anyways. Overall this arrangement is a laid-back take on the themes, most predominantly using 'How many players'. I found the transitions to be pretty good overall, and the way you incorporate the sources is subtle. If I didn't know better, I would have not noticed that you used three sources overall.

As you said, the sounds are lo-fi, but I think you make them work with the themes. I do feel that the drumwork overall doesn't really fit the track in a lot of sections. It's not enough to bring this to a NO, but definitely noticeable to me.

YES

• 2 weeks later...

Nice soundscape and a cool take on the source. The snare at the beginning stuck out a little, but once the intro was done, the filter was removed, and I understood the intention. Good way to get my attention, and effective overall.

I do think the synth sequencing was a bit mechanical, but the accompanied piano sounded more nuanced overall. Not really sure what to say about that; I felt the energy and interest the song had overpowered any real weakness in the synth programming. The snare ghost notes were also a bit powerful, but as a whole I really enjoy this, and it's good to see some (forced) Sega Pico love. :-)

Yes

• 2 months later...

The drum sounds were pretty bad to me. Not quite dealbreaker bad, but pretty close. Fair enough to you if they didn't sound thin and plain, but to me... well, it sounds lo-fi! It just didn't work in this context, I thought. The song was also kinda disjointed without a strong direction, and a little bit lacking in body. The ideas were good and I liked the piano, but the overall package just didn't work for me. Best of luck getting a fourth YES.

NO (resubmit)

• 5 weeks later...

The whole things sounds pretty lacking in low frequencies. I can hear the bassline but the percussion sounds really thin and exposed, especially that snare.. Not feeling the vanilla synths either. Piano and string stuff is nice but this needs more foundation. Drums are really killing this piece, IMO, they sound so out of place.

NO (resub)

• 2 weeks later...

I have a lot of problems with the production here. The lead synth just sounds way too harsh and out of place. The drums are too high-pitched and chaotic (I would actually do half-time drums here.) As Shariq said, there is no low-end at all, leaving the whole mix sounding very sparse. It sounds like there should simply be more parts, be they pads, basses, etc. Even if you have good arrangement ideas, the execution needs to be at the same level. This is like a soft piano ballad with random harsh synths and chaotic DNB drums on top. Huh? I would go back to the drawing board and rethink your approach, maybe center the mix around the piano/strings, add some woodwinds, nix the drums/lead synth completely and add some warm pads. This would be a better starting point.

NO

• 3 weeks later...

okay, listening to this again with fresh ears and the other NO votes in mind, I gotta agree that that snare is pretty suck, and though there are some nice fills, that main beat gets really old. I still thought the rest of the arrangement was pretty slick, with a unique (if pretty lo-fi) soundscape, overall I dig it. flipping my vote on account of the drums, though.

NO(resub)

I think DS really summed this up well. The synths were on the vanilla side - felt like they needed some more nuance & interest for the style here. As mentioned before, drums really stuck out here as not gelling with the rest.

I'll also echo the missing low end here. I can hear bass, but it and kick really aren't using up any low end space.

On the positive side the strings and piano were quite nice sounding. I can see where Zirc would be coming from in his suggestions for a new approach.

This kinda feels like it's suffering a bit from an identity crisis. I'm all for genre-bending, but things still have to work together cohesively. I just don't think the dnb drums, organic strings/piano, & vanilla-ish synths are clicking right now.

No, resubmit please