Your ReMixer name: Flexstyle

Your real name: Michael Birch

Your email address: music@flexstylemusic.com

Your website: flexstylemusic.com

Your userid: 22246

Game ReMixed: Dynamite Headdy - Hustle Maruyama

Title of ReMix: Trouble Brewin'

***PROJECT MIX***

Many moons ago, I was approached by Dj Mokram, and asked if I would be able to join his Dynamite Headdy remix album project. I agreed, of course, and promptly put everything off until the very last possible minute. When faced with an impending deadline, this is what I came up with--a frenetic, cheesy, happy hardcore remix of the chosen theme. OCR only has about what, two happy hardcore mixes in the history of EVER, right? I figure there's a void what needs fillin'.

Uh, yeah. This mix, or more specifically its title--most of the players of Headdy I've run into (me not being one of them, per my usual lack of classic gaming experience) know the character to which this theme belongs as "Maruyama." However, a quick Wikipedia search revealed that his American release name is actually "Trouble Bruin." The pun was too obvious NOT to make.

Hope you dig it okay thanks bye.

--

www.flexstylemusic.com

Source:

not a lover of happy hardcore, but I can't complain when it's this well produced. all the synths sound great (really love that centroid/pitch-shifting effect at 1:20, and again at 3:20), but the drums really blow me away. there's so much variation, but your ridiculous attention to detail is ever-present. excellent fills and buildups.

the arrangement is pretty faithful, with a ton of personalization. would of slowed it down a bit personally, but again, I can't complain. nice work here. :nicework:

YES

• 4 weeks later...

So, I thought about this a lot.

A lot a lot.

The deal is, there's a part in the source that I can't help but describe as terrible. It's just a mess of key signatures, with dissonance everywhere. I understand a little dissonance here and there, but this just feels beyond tasteless to me.

So then, there's your remix, which overall I like what you've got going on. Except that part, and honestly you've expounded on it a little more as well, which I honestly like even less. I think it honestly is like the rock holding the mix underwater here.

Sorry, I just can't let this through with that part in there.

NO (resubmit)

• 2 months later...

Man, those are some hard hitting drums dude. Nice.

While I'm not a huge happy hardcore fan, I can live with this flavor as it doesn't fall into the really annoying sugary category in my book.

ANYWAY

Nice production work here, per your usual Michael.

Arrangement was a good combination of utilizing underpinning repeated patterns & melodies with your own progression, effects, and (flex)style.

While the dissonant part isn't my favorite of the mix, I think DS put it well that it's a good contrast from the super upbeat rest of the mix. Plus you can't fault him for staying true to the original IMO :)

:nicework:

Yes

• 1 month later...

Yeah, I'm totally on board with this one, as well. The production is extremely tight and actually much punchier than most happy hardcore I've heard on the site, and the frantic chopped-up drum loops and insanity-inducing synths/fx are all really clicking for me. The dissonant section that Deia was talking about feels very thin, but I've known Mike to use that technique to make the following section sound even more intense by comparison, and it really works well here. The section at 2:05 felt very tongue in-cheek with the absurdly overpowered kick and the silly clap sound that, while the production wouldn't be suitable for an entire track, does not overstay its welcome at all, and before you know it it's right back to top-notch Flexstyle production levels again. All in all, that section that Deia took issue with feels more like a humorous stylistic cameo than anything, and it doesn't take up enough of the mix to really counteract the untouchable-ness the rest of it.

I found this track really amusing and very appropriate for the source, and the quality production/arrangement really helps lock this one in for me. Way to raise the bar for a genre that I haven't heard around here in ages, keep doing that!

YES