Metroid Prime - 'Let's Upset a 'Troid!' [Credits Theme] by Timaeus & AngelCityOutlaw

This ReMix was loads of fun, and I really enjoyed working on it with AngelCityOutlaw. This is a crazy effort, and I do believe ACO's guitar and arrangement contributions really tied this together very well. You just can't get that heaviness to the palm mute chugs with a sample library.

This will be submitted soon after receiving a Mod Review, and this particular SoundCloud version won't be updated, so the final version would be on OCR.

ReMix: http://soundcloud.com/timaeus222/lets-upset-a-troid

Source:

Looking for feedback on sub bass and high treble in particular, if possible.

Source Breakdown:

0:00.00 - 0:04.40 = Original

0:04.40 - 0:22.00 = Source (0:00.50 - 0:12.98)

0:22.00 - 0:39.56 = Source Variation (0:12.98 - 0:30.04)

0:39.56 - 1:14.68 = Source (0:30.04 - 0:55.58) [in bassline, with a little variation on that as it progresses]

1:14.68 - 1:26.39 = Source (1:39.24 - 2:12.26)

1:26.39 - 2:13.21 = Source (2:12.26 - 2:29.49)

2:13.21 - 2:24.92 = Original

2:24.92 - 2:33.71 = Source (0:30.04 - 0:55.58)

2:33.71 - 2:36.64 = Original

2:36.64 - 2:52.73 = Source (0:30.04 - 0:55.58)

2:52.73 - 3:27.84 = Source (0:12.98 - 0:30.04)

3:27.84 - End = Source (0:00.50 - 0:12.98)

213.03 / 232.07 = 91.8% source, at most, minus maybe 20~40% for variation and obscurities. I'm being veeeeery flexible. :P

Edited by timaeus222

This ReMix was loads of fun, and I really enjoyed working on it with AngelCityOutlaw. This is a crazy effort, and I do believe ACO's guitar and arrangement contributions really tied this together very well. You just can't get that heaviness to the palm mute chugs with a sample library.

This will be submitted soon after receiving a Mod Review, and this particular SoundCloud version won't be updated, so the final version would be on OCR.

http://soundcloud.com/timaeus222/lets-upset-a-troid

Indeed. It was fun =D

I'm sure glad we went with this source after all lol

Edited by AngelCityOutlaw

I just wanna say I'm really enjoying this. The guitars and drums are absolutely KILLER.

You've improved a lot since the first sub I heard from you. Great job both of you. Please get this on OCR soon.

If I had a crit it would be that this could be more sourcy. I know the source very well and I can hear the song but I only wish the source was more upfront. Maybe it's just a key change that's throwing me off.

Great arrangement, though. Good job.

Edited by urdailywater

Hey guys, great mix! First, you adapted it to 4/4 from the 3/4 source, and I love that. And you definitely captured the feel from the original in ambiance and sfx. I'm not familiar with this original so I'm trying to get up to speed. Like Aaron, I'm struggling a bit to pick out the source, but I know you Timaeus and I'm sure your breakdown is correct! Hopefully the judges won't struggle too hard to hear the source usage.

Chris, those guitars sound amazing. The only problem production-wise that I'm having is that occasionally, the leads are a bit buried. From 0:45 all the way until 1:13, that lead is really soft. The lead that begins right after, at 1:14, is a better volume. Lead at 1:49 sounds great. At 2:36, that lead is very soft and hard to focus on. I have the feeling that isn't supposed to be a real lead there, but a background arp, but from 2:36 to 2:51 it seems like it should be a lead (at least, my ears want that!). At 2:52 the lead seems really buried as there's much more stuff going on there. At 3:10, the pianoish thing is a perfect volume imo (so don't change that), but seems odd following the softer lead. So I'd say bring those softer leads out somehow, and the production is perfect. Really, I'm nitpicking here. ;-)

Drums are up to your usual standard of awesomeness, T. Nice job guys. Wishing you luck when you sub!

I've tried my hand at remixing this, way back when. Source is quite familiar.

There's definitely one recurring bit from source pretty almost throughout, and the lead melody is fairly easy to make out even when you're just playing on its rhythm rather than the melody itself. There's a few parts that I feel don't have much connection to source, but I'm pretty sure I'd recognize the source if someone played this for me and didn't tell me where it was from. I think you're in the clear, source-wise.

Nice work with the time sigs. Bookends. it flows quite well throughout. it flows well, and kicks up towards the end. For whatever reason, I'm getting a bit of a Mega Man X vibe from it at times. Can't be a bad thing, right? :D

On the production side, it feels a bit too bright. Hats are pretty loud, and I think some of the synths could be a slight nuance more muffled too. Could just be your loudening that's doing this, so ease up on that stuff on the high frequencies and you should have the whole thing in a pretty good place.

Nice work guys. :D

Thanks, Rozo. I'm pretty glad you noticed the time sig changes, since I made them quite subtle. :D

I did feel it was too bright sometimes, so I'll check that out later. I'm relatively sure I know why the hi hats are part of the problem, especially in the breakdown.

Kristina, I'll clarify that until 2:52, the lead issues you pointed out were intentional. :) Yeah, 2:36 is supposed to be just a regular arpeggio so you can hear the more-important bassline. I also think 2:45 is more of an issue in comparison to 2:36.

EDIT:

Made fixes, and gonna tell ACO about it. :D

Edited by timaeus222

• 5 months later...