Contact Information

* Cosmic Frog

* Joakim Jönsson

* e00ie@hotmail.com

* http://www.myspace.com/electronicfrog

Submission Information

* Sonic The Hedgehog 3

* IceCap Zone

* System: Sega Genesis Composer: Bobby Brooks ?

* http://www.vgmusic.com/new-files/Icy_Memories(XG).mid

Well I was looking through some remixes here and I saw a remix of this track. So I thought ' hm I should try to remix this to ', so I did.

I made it with some darude insperation but I usual go for my own style. I used Fl Studio to make this track and with some vsti instruments, for example Refx Nexus..

( submission file: )

Enjoy...

----------------------------------------------------------

Just noting that this mix wasn't a rip of the referenced VGMusic MIDI, so no worries there.

http://project2612.org/download.php?id=61 - IceCap Zone 1

I'm certainly interested in what the other Js think, as I may be too harsh on this one. If y'all feel this is good along the lines of "AmberTrance" for simply being solid even if not blow-away, then lemme know.

The genre adaptation was by-the-numbers to me, but had decent dynamics and was pretty solid for what it was. I just felt this wasn't very interpretive with the source material beyond. 2:44 was a good chance to do something new/different that would have given some more variety, but it basically went back to the same ideas.

This isn't poor by any means; the production/effects weren't unique, but the sound quality was solid. That's not to discount what interpretive and expansive writing is already in place, but I just feel there needs to be more interpretation of the IceCap theme beyond the conversion of the track into trance, as most of the overall structure and feel is the same as the original. Would have been gold in ye olden days, but the interpretation bar has gone up.

NO (resubmit)

Ha--icecap remix. LAWL

Well, I've been pretty busy for the past couple months, so I haven't been able to vote much lately. I just hit up a Terra mix moments ago, and now I'm hitting up this one. I hope there's a Wily mix on the queue right now :)

Anyway. I thought the intro was pretty lame, and was getting my "ream" gloves on right before 0:28 kicked in. I gotta be honest, I really dig that section. It's a very groovy setup. Generic? Yes. Cool? Yes. I can definitely see that this has the potential to cause another panel split all the way down to the last man/woman just like Ambertrance did. Let's break it down.

Pros:

-Clean (enough) production

-Good energy

-Good flow (after :28 particularly)

-Though certainly nothing to write home about, I'd say the arrangement is acceptable

Cons:

-"Generic" trance template

-Weak intro

-Weak-ish ending (I thought it could have been better)

-"Been done before" *This I say with a grain of salt, because I personally don't mind when a track has been *done before* as long as it's not just an obvious rip of the predecessor. And I'd say this isn't ripping off or overdubbing any of our long long list of previous Ice Cap tracks.

Hell, I'll play the sympathetic role on this one. And I'm interested to see how the rest of the vote goes. I'm ok with this one.

Good enough

Ice Cap. Trance. Somehow I feel like this sums up a lot of OCR. :<

Solid trance arrangement that did a bit to distinguish itself from being just another trance cover. I liked the idea for the intro (though it was too loud), and the changes in the bassline. The new writing complements the old, but I really would have liked to see a little more variety in interpreting the original parts. I thought 2:44 would have been a great part to make changes to the backing parts or go wild with an altered lead synth melody, maybe something with more harmonic variation. Instead, it's a near (exact?) repetition of an earlier section. The breakdown - another place where more could have been done.

Production was quite solid. As mentioned, the intro was a little loud, but this song maintains a good flow and energy level, and the effects, snare fills, and filter sweeps give the song motion. A little more clarity between parts wouldn't hurt, but it was good enough.

Ultimately, it's close, but I'm going to say no. I think with a little more creativity in the second half this will pass, so please resubmit!

NO (resubmit)

oh man, that intro is not a good way to start. Waaay mechanical and clumsy. The track sounds significantly more professional as soon as other stuff starts to happen.

I'm definitely hearing that the arrangement is a weak point. Your textures and individual phrases are really great. They sound polished, deep, wide, and tall. (volume, stereo, and frequency range, respectively). Your production is slick. I'm thinking this track could be much more captivating if you used these production chops and made the track a bit more creative compositionally.

This is close to the line for me, but gotsta go

NO

You know what? I like this a lot. I think that it's a great--if straightforward--genre adaptation that's solidly executed. The production and sounds are all there. My only complaint is arrangement; what's here is pretty damn good, but I think that you could do way more with some rhythmic variation concerning the melody. I realize that this is a staple of the genre, but there's a little too much rehash/repetition in the song that could really be mitigated with some creative lead-writing.

NO, but just give it a little more for the resub.