The Extreme WIP

Skummel Maske

I'm working on a metal-based version of The Extreme from FFVIII. So far I've done the backbone for the first part of the track. I couldn't find a good piano VST, so I turned all the knobs randomly on one of the poor ones I found. It's kind of alright until you hear it solo. I couldn't quite decide on what to "fill out" the sound with in the part where the piano now plays solo (in the first half of the song, not near the ending), so I'm open for advice.

This still sounds a bit dull, hopefully because I haven't started on the leads yet. Still I want all the input you can give me.

Download the mp3

A friend of mine ahs been bothering me to remix the Extreme. You don't have particularily good transitions between sections, at least in the first half. It's a beautiful track, so you've got that working for you. To me, this seems to be needing more interpretation and betetr transitions, but at this point, that's about all I can say so far. Gonna have more to say when you've got the leads in. Good luck!

You've got stuff repeating over and over. Instead of repeating fully, you could change the last few beats of it to match the next section, or just to signify a change. Just by varying it a few seconds before and letting some isntruments fade into the 1:04 section, you could smoother than up. At 1:20, you could let the piano play a few notes more, while the hihat's counting in, just to show it's still the same song.

Also, while the guitar just repeating over and over, nothing's stopping you from playing it differently for a few measures or something. Just for variation. Something that's still in the right key, but different. Long notes for a while, then back to the picking.