Wii Play - "You Are All Posers"

Nav

Yes, that is the title, and the game remixed.

http://vgmusic.com/music/console/nintendo/wii/Ready.mid is the midi for it. Its the "Pose Mii: Ready?" theme from Wii Play.

http://navij11.com/wii_remix.mp3 is my remix.

It is supposed to be 80s styled, with the traditional DX FM Modulation Piano, breakbeats formed by layering old skool breaks, 70s String Machine Samples, Sampled Guitars, and Izotope Vinyl bringing it all together with old skool flare!

Please leave some feedback! I feel like it could go somewhere! I am up for collabs if anyone has some BURNING ideas about where to take this :)!!

Thanks!

Edit: Forgot to mention that every effect was using the "Classic Series" plugins, which provide LOTS of warmth! I thought you should know that!

I think the guitar sample or whatever it was is a little flat, see if you can tune it up a few cents. I also didn't hear as much melody as I would have liked. There's not much to get from the source, but you cna merge it with another piece from the game, or jsut expand on the stuff you already had expanded on. A pizzicato-imitating synth, not unlike the crystal-mallet-like synth you already have, playing a more melodic part could add that, maybe you could just add notes to the one you've got to make it more reminiscent of the source. As it is, the bass is source, the rest is accompaniment... but accompanies bass opr nothing.

OCR needs more Wii music, so get this YESable and submit. You might want to check back ehre a few times, tho. Nice work!

At 1:21 some melody comes in. I don't recognize it. If it's from a source, list the source. If not, make it. There's those two last notes before the short lil source loop loops again, if you'd emphasize those, you'd be playing source all over, and I'd stop bothering you about it. For a while, anyway.

But it could be from another source track,but if that's the case, let me know. I'm not gonna dig through vgmusic to find it.

What, recording noise at the end of the track? Cool! Not necessarily very suitable, but cool nevertheless. You just need to end it properly, either fade it out of cut it off harder. If you cut it off, raise the volume just before killing it. That way, we hear it's intentional.

Anyway, 3:42 might be something of a stretch, so you should consider cutting out some of the repetition. 0:37-0:46-0:58 is pretty much the same, we heard it before. The following two sections are just repetition+one track. Cut stuff out here. And vary the melodies a bit more, jsut drop notes or move them up or down someplace, jsut so it doesn't feel like audio loops all over.

Also, the guitar sounds better now, but it needs more life. Vary velocity and tone length, and add some reverb to it. Try dropping the fifth note every once in a while, it might help too.

But this is cool. I'm hearing improvements all over. Keep it up!

I like the style of this. Very laid-back and "liquid".

But what's up with the production? Everything sounds mono, and kind of like it's recorded from an old casette. Not the slight noise, I'm fine with that, but the EQ levels are just okay. I don't know if that's part of the retro style you're aiming for, but the production is the only major thing that will keep this from getting a YES from the judges.

Apart from that, you have nice synths and drum programming. I would love to hear this with better recording quality.

At 1:21 some melody comes in. I don't recognize it. If it's from a source, list the source. If not, make it. There's those two last notes before the short lil source loop loops again, if you'd emphasize those, you'd be playing source all over, and I'd stop bothering you about it. For a while, anyway.

But it could be from another source track,but if that's the case, let me know. I'm not gonna dig through vgmusic to find it.

What, recording noise at the end of the track? Cool! Not necessarily very suitable, but cool nevertheless. You just need to end it properly, either fade it out of cut it off harder. If you cut it off, raise the volume just before killing it. That way, we hear it's intentional.

Anyway, 3:42 might be something of a stretch, so you should consider cutting out some of the repetition. 0:37-0:46-0:58 is pretty much the same, we heard it before. The following two sections are just repetition+one track. Cut stuff out here. And vary the melodies a bit more, jsut drop notes or move them up or down someplace, jsut so it doesn't feel like audio loops all over.

Also, the guitar sounds better now, but it needs more life. Vary velocity and tone length, and add some reverb to it. Try dropping the fifth note every once in a while, it might help too.

But this is cool. I'm hearing improvements all over. Keep it up!

The melody is not from a source. Should it be? I'm not usually a fan of medleys, so I prefer to make my usual stuff. The noise at the track will be discussed below.

Ok, I'll mess with it so its less repetitive. The guitar is only in there as an arp really, its not supposed to be varied as much, but I'll see what I can do!

I like the style of this. Very laid-back and "liquid".

But what's up with the production? Everything sounds mono, and kind of like it's recorded from an old casette. Not the slight noise, I'm fine with that, but the EQ levels are just okay. I don't know if that's part of the retro style you're aiming for, but the production is the only major thing that will keep this from getting a YES from the judges.

Apart from that, you have nice synths and drum programming. I would love to hear this with better recording quality.

Yeah, that was really the point. The noise, the classic EQ plugins, the EQ changes... If you don't like it then I'll take it out, but I personally do like it.

http://www.izotope.com/products/audio/vinyl/ is the VST I used. I'll upload a "clean" version, and you tell me if that's better.

Its funny, because the noise spans through the whole song, you just can't hear it!

You can keep the noise and EQ levels then, but the judges will not like a submission sounding like it's in mono unless the rearrangement is EXCEPTIONALLY good. Do pan some of the instruments. The synths themselves should've had some stereo expansion already, if they were layered.

I've put the "final" version up.

Post your "final" issues with it here. I'll go back and fix it, then the quotation marks will be removed!

EDIT: Took out the Izotope Vinyl. It sounds better that way IMO. If you really like it with that, then say so and I'll put it back in. It was causing the static and fuzz.

• 2 weeks later...

First problem. The bass synth, the very initial bass synth, is causing unpleasant fuzzing and cracking throughout the whole track... if it's supposed to be 80s, make it 80s without the bad parts, like fuzzing and cracking. You know what I'm saying.

The melody, true enough, you didn't have enough to work with for it to be ideal.

Your melody isn't bad, per se. The excellent percussion and breaks definitely uplift the track.

One thing this track could use is a little structure. This would be helped, with the removal of the ever-present bass synth, as that tends to blend it all together.

The song, at current, however, sounds like a bunch o' sounds without any kind of division.

A breakdown would help this track out massively, mix everything down and introduce some nice, long, morphing pads.

Overlay those with a 50% speed version of the main melody, and that's golden.

And hell, hook the song up with a crazy speed arp with the main synth- have some fun with it, this song sounds like it's got the potential for it.

Anything I might be missing? I don't think so.

And it's nice to see you here Navij. Didn't think I'd see anyone I know here :D