Super Metroid_Brinstar Remix baby

HoboKa

Ok, the first 30 seconds is just noise, really. I can't make out anything except a few inklings of Green Brinstar. After that it picks up a bit and I really like the instrumentation, but it's really muddy. Try using a lowpass filter on some of that stuff. It kinda looses momentum after that, until the synth at 1:20ish picks up, which sounds pretty cool, but again, it's crazy muddy. Get rid of some instruments / pads that you don't need by that point. The more tracks you add, the harder it is to balance them, so keep it down to only a few and make the most out of those. The wierd piano section after that is pretty gross sounding, and I really can't make out much more after that except what sounds like someone looking for Spore Spawn in the biggest cave imaginable. The easiest way to learn to improve your mixing is probably going to be to pick a style and stick with it for a bit. Make as many songs in that style as it takes until you can get the mixing down pat, and you know what to listen for. Then start expanding it to incorporate different elements and the like. What works for trance could sound abysmal for orchestral or metal. Keep working on this, and maybe try and go for a more conventional style instead of trying to be really original. If you can get that down, then you can move on to more interesting stuff.

Ok, the first 30 seconds is just noise, really. I can't make out anything except a few inklings of Green Brinstar. After that it picks up a bit and I really like the instrumentation, but it's really muddy. Try using a lowpass filter on some of that stuff. It kinda looses momentum after that, until the synth at 1:20ish picks up, which sounds pretty cool, but again, it's crazy muddy. Get rid of some instruments / pads that you don't need by that point. The more tracks you add, the harder it is to balance them, so keep it down to only a few and make the most out of those. The wierd piano section after that is pretty gross sounding, and I really can't make out much more after that except what sounds like someone looking for Spore Spawn in the biggest cave imaginable. The easiest way to learn to improve your mixing is probably going to be to pick a style and stick with it for a bit. Make as many songs in that style as it takes until you can get the mixing down pat, and you know what to listen for. Then start expanding it to incorporate different elements and the like. What works for trance could sound abysmal for orchestral or metal. Keep working on this, and maybe try and go for a more conventional style instead of trying to be really original. If you can get that down, then you can move on to more interesting stuff.

Yeah I was being a too ambitious for my level of knowledge...can't help it lol. I'll see what I can do to limit the amount of tracks and get that muddiness reduced.

Quick reply, I'll give you better feedback next version.

It would be cool if the progression was different, as this has been heard this over and over in different versions (Prophecy's version comes to mind). It's also very repetitive, so you should either vary stuff way more, or jsut cut it out.

The piano is reminiscent of the Spore Spawn miniboss theme, but lacks the nightmarish feel the original melody has. I suspect that's just an original add-on to Brinstar, not the Spore Spawn theme. It's not as bad as Spoon says, but it needs more work. The reverb isn't good, and the melody floats somewhere in between what works and what doesn't.

Better feedback next version.

Samples, schmamples, but you need more attack for the strings to have any effect, and more authentic sounds. The intro needs waay more authentic sounds as it's all orchestral. Melodically, it's all good, says I.

Drums are nice. No decent headphones atm, can't say more in-depth, and probably couldn't hear what could yet be improved anyway.

1:21-2:12, it's pretty much the same thing for a whole minute. Chop chop, get rid of half of it, or move that half to the end of the track and twist it into an ending. Also, bring down the hihats, they're way too loud and just sound stupid.

Reverse crash sounds kind'a un-even and low quality, see if you can find or reverse a better sample.

The talking synth or weird cutoff/phased thing, whatever it is, it could be used much more. You could use it as a bass, melodic instrument, not just for rhythm and soundscaping. You used it nicely in the beginning, but after it comes in at 1:21, it gets dull pretty quickly. Kick it down an octave.

Piano, drums, and soundscape in the end... Nope, doesn't work. It could sound relaly cool, but it doesn't. The piano doesn't get enough attention as it's currently mixed, tho just bringing it up wouldn't help much either, it'd just sound dry and dumb. See what you can do about making the soundscape less rhythmic and drop the drum volume a few dB.

That's as in-depth as I'll bother with atm. Good luck!

Tensei San cuz he smells!!

At least I don't have arseworms, you shit-eating pile of fail. Oh, and I don't smell either, since I use this little thing called deodorant and perfume. And yes, your latest update is better than the one before that just like Christina Aguilera might make marginally better music than Britney Spears.

At least I don't have arseworms, you shit-eating pile of fail. Oh, and I don't smell either, since I use this little thing called deodorant and perfume. And yes, your latest update is better than the one before that just like Christina Aguilera might make marginally better music than Britney Spears.

oh snap. Well it IS better, so I guess thats good :D

• 3 weeks later...

Let's see here... intro up until 1:00 is pretty blah and incoherent. Sounds too much like a cutscene. Cut all that out and you'd have a pretty solid 20 second intro (without the early strings). Drums at 2:17 are a little annoying, I'd change them up or at least drop them back and let the piano here really let it do its thing because as it is this section serves no real purpose right now.

Lots of potential, though. I really like the overall sound you deliver from 1:00 to 2:17.

Let's see here... intro up until 1:00 is pretty blah and incoherent. Sounds too much like a cutscene. Cut all that out and you'd have a pretty solid 20 second intro (without the early strings). Drums at 2:17 are a little annoying, I'd change them up or at least drop them back and let the piano here really let it do its thing because as it is this section serves no real purpose right now.

Lots of potential, though. I really like the overall sound you deliver from 1:00 to 2:17.

thanks man. Yeah I was going all experimental as usual, albeit a little too much so on this mix, so I gotta revamp and refine it more. My favorite part is definitely 1:00-2:17 too ^^