Your Biggest Mistake As An Musician

TheSnowStorm

completely screwing up on an audition for the CUA music school

although, I think it was a good thing, because I do not at all have the willpower to fight my way into the music industry being a mere violinist. It's too damned cutthroat for my tastes.

completely screwing up on an audition for the CUA music school

although, I think it was a good thing, because I do not at all have the willpower to fight my way into the music industry being a mere violinist. It's too damned cutthroat for my tastes.

So true. To be honest, I have some dreams of somewhat breaking out in the industry as a video game composer and arranger, but like you say, it's a cutthroat industry. I haven't heard much from any violinist breaking into the industry expect for this African-American jazz violinist.

Other Mistakes:

*Not bugging my brother on teaching me guitar. But you know, I don't care anymore. I would had suck.

*Learning that the ledger lines on the staff just repeats itself at age 18.

*Shifting to 3rd postion to the point my wrist started to hurt. (I'm too tight)

Letting my Mom limit the genres of music I was exposed to as a kid (I can understand her not wanting a 7-year-old listening to hardcore rap, but I'd basically never heard jazz until I was 15).

A combination of various bad habits and playing too hard on a fairly stiff grand piano because I couldn't hear myself, resulting in tendonitis I've lived with for over 10 years now.

Not being able to figure out how to adapt my musical style to something that works well in a remixing context instead of a live group performance context.

Getting married to someone who isn't passionate about music, who for a couple other reasons as well, has had a significant negative impact on my drive to accomplish anything musically.

Being born into a family of musicians and music lovers. DESTROYED my interest in music before I was even 8.

I didn't get back into it until I was around 14 with the guitar, which I'm good at now... I guess. I never took more than a cumulative year of classes, and when I did, I took them with the most elitist of elite classical music snobs at the conservatory that I hated since I was 9(see above).

Growing up in a place where people would rather listen to shit like Reggeaton is also a regret.