Singing; I am Seeking Answers...

Dyne

...from a qualified person. Shouldn't take much to figure out what that means. Anyway, I want to improve what singing voice I do have right now, and I'm not really sure where to start (as a matter of fact, I wasn't quite sure where to place this thread, so it's here in Comm. until someone from staff moves it, if at all).

So, basically, I wanted to know what's involved in singing, what I need to know, maybe some idea of ways I'm supposed to breathe, things to keep in mind, what kind of environment is conducive to singing properly, etc... So please, help. Thanks.

Am I qualified? lol. Anyways...

Breathing is the most important thing in singing by far. I've recently finally nailed my breathing technique and my singing has vastly improved because of it. If you know where your diaphragm is, that is where you need to sing from. Practise deep breathing techniques, like huffing, deep exhalation (breathing out) - this will help you know your lungs better, expand note sustain times and you'll know when you're running out of breath. As always, cardiovascular exercise can help you to maximise your lung power.

Try to practise singing very quietly, it will improve your vocal control and you will find it saves your vocal chords in the long run. So many people take a deep breath in and force a hard to reach note through their vocal chords trying to force the note (and then wonder why their throat hurts when they sing!). By practising properly you will be able to sing loudly and softly and thus improve your dynamic range.

As for pitch, practise singing in the bathroom where the slight reverb can help you to notice if you are off pitch. Another good one is to put your palms in front of your mouth at about a 2cm distance. You'll look silly, but you can hear a lot more of your voice this way.

Hope you find those tips useful - I'm always looking to improve my vocals and it's the same as everything else: practice, practice, practise.

posture and breathing are the most important things with singing. make sure you're taking a deep, low breath (aka, feel the air go all the way to the bottom of your stomach, shoulders loose, etc). and make sure you're standing up straight with good back position and all that - being hunched over kills your range really quick.