Couple of Questions

kyleh93710

EDIT: Alright sorry for the idiot disregard post, I was late for school and I thought I could get a post in before I left, but I had to leave so I just edited it for the time being. Anyways, about the MIDI ripping. I really don't get the difference/why people MIDI sequence for sites like VGMusic, when you could just make high quality remixes. Also, could someone explain to me MIDI ripping and how it is used effectively?

MIDI ripping is just importing a MIDI into your music applications and applying the MIDI information to an instrument, thus bypassing any transcription efforts.

The reason people usually sequence from scratch is because the majority od MIDIs are fan-made, and so are only as accurate as their creator. Typically, they will have bad dynamics, low attention to detail and crappy micro-management of note lengths, stuff like that. I believe some MIDIs are ripped straight from the game files, but I don't know much about this process.

And of, course, the best way to re-arrange music is to start from scratch, and seeing as OCReMix is about re-arrangement, midi ripping is generally frowned upon. At VGMix, you could get away with midi-rips, but people would probably still frown upon it for being a bit lazy.

VGMusic on the other hand is a midi library. People who make midis for this kinda site are probably practising their transcription skills. Not everyone has the stuff they need to remix, but you can find plenty of free midi software.

Back when I was in Junior High and High School, I did a lot of game music MIDI transcription, a lot of it had to be done from memory (especially during Jr. High) because I didn't have any money and therefore didn't have whatever game I wanted to sequence. Now that I think about it, that was the main reason I started doing it, I wanted to hear the music but didn't have the game.

Luckily my Dad is the main know it all in our state for MIDI and synthesizers, so I got to use his Roland XP-80 and JV-1080 and he had like eight seperate expansion boards in it, so it was something like over 1500 MIDI patches.

It's just too bad I don't have much creativity for music, otherwise I'd submit some remixes, but that's pretty much why I don't do it anymore. I'll tell you, the hardest song for me to sequence was the last boss battle from Final Fantasy Tactics. Some of the notes were too vague to get right and I couldn't perfect the dynamics so it always sounded so flat. Ah well...

I really don't get the difference/why people MIDI sequence for sites like VGMusic, when you could just make high quality remixes.

Because with a MIDI file you don't have to worry about production. When you write a MIDI, you're not worrying about sample choices, mastering, EQ, effects, or anything. The most you worry about is sequencing specifics (durations and velocities) and patch choices. You're just transcribing/composing/arranging, not producing.