Chrono Cross - People Seized with Life - Nostrum

Hey guys! Here's something new I just started sketching out. I wrote some words, and played piano singing them. I'm gonna sequence-arrange it, and mom will play :D Hopefully i can get it under 6 mb...

Btw- did I butcher latin?

http://drumultima.googlepages.com/nostrumsketch.mp3

here's a small update! I started sketching out the accompaniment. No singing yet :)

http://drumultima.googlepages.com/nostrumfull.mp3 (piano part outlines voice part)

here are the words: http://drumultima.googlepages.com/nostrum.txt

nostrum

nostrum praeteritus

I can still recall

A time when all

I knew were shades of light

From the gold sunrise

to the ruby sunset

everything between was right

And how brightly shown the emerald grass

Up against the sapphire sea

And even through those onyx nights

The silver moonlight shone on me

chorus:

But as time goes on we learn too much

And those colors start to fade

And all we can do is look back

On the world that we had made

I guess it was an act of fate

that made our worlds collide,

and before I knew just where I was

you were already there by my side

So we set off to explore the world,

In this timeline made for two

From your long blond braid a scarlet passion

I felt that I'd been saved by you

chorus

So we seized the day, we seized the night,

We were people seized with life,

And we took the world on, led by fate

Everything would be alright.

As the times trudged on we grew less green

And the world had grown less wide

And your deep blue eyes, they told no lies

And fate could not make up it's mind

So we journeyed to that deep black void

Where the pale white light shone true

But to free it from it's somber prison

We knew what we would have to do

chorus

So no sooner than I came here

Fate had untangled our lines

And the worlds went back to balance

You in yours, and me, in mine.

Just because I have a future now

doesn't mean the past can't hurt

And I know that things are better

but sometimes I wish they weren't

Cause as time goes on we learn too much

And those colors start to fade

And all we can do is look back

On the world we once made

hey there mr drummy Mc Drummerson, I love your works a lot :D, especially that Lavos arrangement, too bad it wasn't accepted here - but there's always VG Mix eh ;-).

Well um as for this I find that your voice is a bit restrained, but at least its on key at least 50% of the time :P.

If you had other instruments than just a piano, then perhaps it'd make your voice feel less "exposed" ^^. Not quite my cup of tea this mix I'll admit, cuz it needs your expertise drum work =p

nice work, I like the concept of the vocals with the piano , but the track seems incomplete needs some more Symphonic elements maybe strings maybe add some vocal Symh elements, maybe a slow jazzy drumgroove would do it fine.,, well I dont know what style you'd like but thats what I would love to hear on this track

ps: im gonna add you on lastFM later dude,, oke?

It's not awful - the lyrics are nice and you keep on key a decent amount of time. No offense but your singing needs to be much better before it will surpass the quality-check on OCR, methinks. I think that not having to think about playing the piano at the same time will help.

One thing you could try is recording the piano and then do the recording-studio thing and play the piano on headphones while you sing. That way you can focus your attention on the vocals, which will (I think) help immensely as I mentioned.

Having said thus I'm looking forward to the final product.

EDIT: The rest of the checklist looks just fine for a WIP. Double-check the production level on the final product and you should be just fine.

Thanks for the feedback guys!

One thing I wanna point out is that I'm not going to be playing piano and singing. I'm hoping to write out a sort of orchestra/ethno sounding accompaniment. I improvised the piano accompaniment just to give an idea of what I'm thinking. I'm sure that I'll use a bit of piano in the remix, but this mp3 is mostly to demonstrate the lyrics and in what context I'm thinking of using them.

I didn't listen through the whole thing yet, but I want to say that just listening to your voice, I think it has potential to sound really, really good if you learn to use it just a bit better. Have you taken (or thought of taking) voice lessons?

I'm not a teacher--I just took voice for several years, and I know how much of a difference proper use can make in every aspect of sound.

I suggest reconsidering singing it yourself. Natural can sound a lot better than synthesized, especially when the one who wrote a piece also sings it. You'd have to be pretty patient though, cause singing takes time and practice, and it'd mean you'd have to wait to submit it.

I didn't listen through the whole thing yet, but I want to say that just listening to your voice, I think it has potential to sound really, really good if you learn to use it just a bit better. Have you taken (or thought of taking) voice lessons?

I'm not a teacher--I just took voice for several years, and I know how much of a difference proper use can make in every aspect of sound.

I suggest reconsidering singing it yourself. Natural can sound a lot better than synthesized, especially when the one who wrote a piece also sings it. You'd have to be pretty patient though, cause singing takes time and practice, and it'd mean you'd have to wait to submit it.

yes, i have thought about taking voice lessons! I don't know if I have the money to do that right now, but I'd love to. My roommate is a vocal minor and he's been giving me some pointers, but I'd love to get better.

• 3 weeks later...