Tomba - Beyond the Flower Forest

Dash Myoku

gfjx - Update

I'm not sure if I posted this before or not, but oh well.

Something I made a long time ago, though I just recently went back and re-vamped some of the sounds for better quality. Also changed a couple things, but nothing drastic. If you've never played Tomba, or have and don't remember much of the music, I suggest checking out the original track. You can find a MIDI of it on vgmusic.com as "The Flower Forest" or just simply "Flower Forest."

I'm basically done with this remix and would like to submit it. Do you think it's OCR material? Or does it need some work?

The drums do not amuse us. I feel like some of the synths should be turned down a little, and some of the repetition in the first minute and 45 seconds needs to be vented.

It feels like a very solid start, and I agree about the keys. They're catchy, and definitely add to the piece.

A nice, catchy, minimalistic song.

The only thing that grinds me, other than what's been mentioned, is that the main instrument (other than the piano) is pretty cliche--or at least familiar. Something I might expect in a few indy titles, but not an OCRemix. On the other hand, there are songs that've made it despite me disliking their instrumentation.

Alright, I changed a few things. Unfortunately, I couldn't do a lot with the drums. I'm not much of a drummer, so I stick with simplistic stuff.

Anyways, lemme know what ya think of the update, which is in the first post.

Oh yeah, no one commented on that little transition at 2:23-2:25. Is that sufficient for that part? Or should I add a little more to it?

Pretty good. I wish I could compare this and your previous attempts, but the previous is no longer posted. (I don't know if I'm the only one who expects not to have to save each version on my computer if I want to be retrospective.)

I think the song needs a little more, but I can't quite tell what. If feels incomplete--like it's lacking a main melody and we're only hearing the background. Maybe just more variation. The original is good, but it's short, and I think you should use that as an excuse to put more originality into this.

That said, there are many parts that are great as they are, like the transitions between the two main melodies.

Hm...you're actually right. I didn't really notice that til just now. And come to think of it, the only part of the original track that's in there is the main part of it. You can't really tell, but the beginning stuff is just a different take on the chord progression.

With that, I may just go ahead and incorporate the rest of the original. I don't think it'll hurt it any.