COMPLETED ALBUM: Dues Ex 'The Long Night'

Hey everyone! You've all been interested in my updates over the last few months, so I thought you might like to know that 'The Long Night', is now complete!

The album features 8 songs, which are all remixes/covers of tracks from the original Deus Ex game.

You can stream and download the album free on this page.Hope it's to your liking :razz:

Cheers for that Liontamer! Does that site give you free downloads aswell?

No, VGMdb is a database, not downloads.

What's up with that "Warm Storage" track of y'alls? What CoLD SToRAGE track was that supposed to be arranging? Something specifically from Wipeout? Or was it supposed to be an original track in the style of CoLD SToRAGE?

It was just an original track and we thought it sounded a lot like Tims work, so we named it accordingly. Several months later we approached him with the idea of the 1AM remix, and later we released them together, and Warm Storage became a sort of 'homage' to him.

Ah, OK, so I had it reversed; what's 1AM originally from then?

I'm checking out some of the tunes ... Let me make a disclaimer. I'm a huge fan of Deus Ex and I still listen to the original soundtrack during my daily commute. I think the originals have some great merits on their own. With that said, I appreciate that other Deus Ex fans have been inspired and committed to tribute this game and its fantastic soundtrack.

Not to make a broad, blanket statement about the tunes... but I'd rather not repeat myself as I feel pretty similarly about all the tracks. Overall, they don't seem as atmospheric / ambient as the originals. There's a general lack of... mood or suspense, which is odd, considering that a few of the tunes are very true to the original. They're just generally not as interesting. I feel like I can't fault them for failing to deliver the distinct cyberpunk vibe that the originals gave, but I feel like if that mood isn't there, the mood should be replaced with something equally as driving. Unfortunately, I don't believe this is the case.

The samples used for the most part remind me of a more typical "dance" techno, but the quality of the samples isn't much better than those used in the originals. So we've traded funky old-school tech, for predictable dance tech, which isn't a step up. It's a step sideways at best, in my opinion.

The closest tracks to success are probably the "Enemy From Within" and "The Rise and Fall of Tracer Tong" tracks. I think these are closer to sample updates than true remixes, but I honestly did enjoy listening to them, even if some of the sample usage felt awkward and out of place on occasion.

In other cases, I feel like the composer(s) are grasping at straws to find ways to make the tunes as interesting as the originals. While I truly appreciate the dedication and effort, these tracks will not replace the originals in my CD booklet.

• 1 month later...

lol, that was certainly an in depth review!

I'm sorry you didn't really feel we'd done the songs justice. One of our aims was to try and make the songs more 'radio friendly'. That's not quite true, it's just the best way I can think to sum it up. Basically if you listen to the original MOD files with the game all the sections are broken up etc - obviously because of the way the game used the tracks. But we wanted to present our version in a form that people who might not consider listening to tracks from video games would pay attention to.

Still, thank you for giving the tracks a listen and for sharing your opinion :)

If anyone else has any comments they'd still be appreciated :)