Vuzix iWear

Dafydd

So, I searched this forum for this but didn't get any hits, so I'm starting a thread about it (though who knows how long it'll live). If there is one already, kindly redirect me and close this one.

The Vuzix iWear (here's a page about the VR version) is like a pair virtual reality goggles (or something like that). More importanly (I think), they're like a portable, low-res monitor. I have no idea how I'm supposed to get my hands on one of these without actually buying a pair (and I'd really hate to buy something for 350 bucks when I don't even know if I want it), so I was hoping maybe one of you guys had tried one. So... anyone?

Apparently, they come in two versions (basically), one which is just a monitor used to watch movies played on a portable or non-portable media player, while the other is a vr helmet reduced to a pair of glasses, responsive to your heads movements and stuff. Right. So, if you've tried one of these, either watching movies or playing games, either passively watching or actively controlling something by turning your head, please tell me what you thought about it. I'd really like to see for myself, but like I said, I wouldn't know where to find a pair without actually having to buy the damned thing first.

I've heard a lot of bad things about VR goggles, ranging from causing motion sickness or other such things, to just being plain boring. If this is any better, I'd like to know.

The R-zone seems to be a console of its own rather than something you can hook up to a PC.

move up to about an inch away from your screen and then use your computer as normal for about ten minute and see how your eyes feel

That's not really fair - at one inch's distance, you can't see very much of your screen, you get way too much light in your eyes, and you see most of the screen from a very weird angle rather than from straight ahead. I can't even focus on something that close.