Cheap, portable recording interfaces

I was all set to buy a USB microphone (see thread on said subject) when I walked into a music store, and they pointed me in the direction of this thing, which seemed like a serious step up: I could plug whatever mic I wanted in, and then I gained the ability to record line in as well (from a buddy's guitar or bass). But since I research things carefully, I decided to take a look at what else might out there. It turns out there are a couple of better looking devices from Tascam itself, not to mention the competition.

I want a quality build, quality sound and the ability to record multiple tracks simultaneously. And though I usually frown on purchasing hardware to control software when I've got a mouse, the features on the FireOne look useful and convenient.

Any thoughts?

depending on your price range their are a bunch of options. You can basically get the same piece of equipment that does the same thing for 150 dollars, or 500 dollars. The differences is Tascam, M-audio etc. Vs. Digidesign. The cheaper ones are pretty decent, they just lack the amazing pre's that Digidesign uses. Either way if its in your budget i'd recommend an M-Box. If your looking for lower end, something like a fast track or something similar is also good.

Can it record multiple tracks simultaneously?

As far as price, I'm willing to spend $500 if I can see a good reason to. Tell me about the pre's.

The 0404 USB does two inputs at a time (it has two input jacks, each of which can be used for 1/4" or XLR). It also does SPDIF in/out and MIDI in/out.

The preamp is what boosts the level of the incoming mic signal so that it's loud enough to be used. It affects the signal-to-noise ratio of the recording and the overall quality of the sound. I've heard that the 0404 is supposed to have good preamps for the price range ($200 and under), but I don't really know since I don't have anything to compare it with.

Just out of curiousity, how many mics do you think you'll need?

I personally will probably only need one at a time, since I sing/speak but don't play guitar or bass. However, one reason I'm getting this is to be able to provide quick recording for any guitarist or bassist friends. I don't know whether any of these devices can support more than two tracks recording simultaneously, but I would hate to be in a situation where it can't happen because I don't have the right number or type of ports. That's essentially my only worry.

Well there's multiple things to consider then.

Like for one, do you really need an audio interface? If all you need is just some preamps and inputs, then try looking at some small, portable mixers. Hell, I'd sell you the one I have on-the-cheap if it wasn't broken (though my dad and I are probably going to crack it open this weekend and try to fix it). If you can go that route, you'll usually get more bang for your buck.

If you need an interface, then there's a variety to look at. I've heard good things about the Tascams, a solid buy all-around.

I personally own a Mackie Onyx Satellite and have had very few problems with it, but the lack of Vista support is very bad and mine runs incredibly hot for some reason (although that seems to be the exception). You get a lot of bang for your buck if you go with the Satellite.

PreSonus also makes nice interfaces, and I'd definitely put them in the upper-tier. Well built all-around and the sound is solid as well.

M-Audio's interfaces are cheap and of above-average quality, but still not completely outstanding. Good if you're on a tight budget but unless you need to use Pro Tools I would get a different interface.

Then there's the Alesis interfaces. I've heard their Multimix preamps are kinda crappy, and I believe it, but I also have an IO|26 interface and its one of my favorite buys. Not the most stable drivers but with 8 preamps it can handle most everything I throw at it.

Last, I must mention the MOTU interfaces. The most expensive but also the most luxurious. I've heard nothing but praises for these interfaces but the main problem is that they're bloody expensive. That said, with the interfaces you're also getting a bunch of high-quality onboard effects so if you're in need of those, MOTU may be your answer.

If you're going to spend $130 on a US122, I'd say spend $20 more and get either the US144 or a Presonus Inspire.

And honestly, if you're going to jump from $130 to $500, I'd say go ahead and bump up another $200 and get either a MOTU, or else the new super-sexy Profire 2626 by M-Audio. It's got their Octane preamp, so you know it's set in that regard. Honestly, in my experience, there's not a lot of difference between the IO26, Firestudio Project, US1641, or any other $400-500 interface as far as quality of the preamps goes. Unless you plan on using all your inputs simultaneously, you might consider just getting an Apogee Duet since you're getting a Mac. That's definitely small and portable.

Thanks guys. This is helpful.

BGC, the Profire does not look at all like something I'd want. I need something I can carry around, not something to rack mount. As for the MOTU, it looks like overkill for me... I can't imagine ever using half those inputs. Can you record multiple tracks on the duet simultaneously? As I mentioned, that's important.

I'm also waiting to hear about your Mac experiences.

Vagrance, can you point me to a couple of small mixers out there? Even the smallest ones I've seen don't look like they're made for portability. All the interfaces you've mentioned look good as well (except for the MOTU, as I explained above). Is there any way to break them down further?

You said you have both an Alesis and a Satellite... why do you have more than one device? I want to make sure that a single device will handle all my needs.

I also was thinking about getting a setup like this. The Line6 Toneport UX2. Right now, I am just plugging the guitar straight into the sound card, and it doesn't sound terrible at all. On second thought, I think I am going to wait on the toneport and make my next big purchase a new computer or a new guitar. Hopefully in the next year or so.

You have a Macbook Pro, right? If you have a firewire port you should go for a firewire interface.

Though, models Macbook Pro (ones with FW800 usually) have stricter power requirements on firewire interfaces than other laptops. Devices that don't conform precisely to the IEEE 1394 standard don't work reliably on bus-power. I've encountered this problem with the Presonus and TC Electronic devices.

Mackie Onyx Satellite is an interesting concept; effectively having two complementary audio interfaces for two purposes. I owned one for a while, but the pod's mic pres just didn't fare so well on bus-power, maybe another MBP specific issue.

You're right about dismissing MOTU -- they're great products but they're more than you'll need, my 828 ended up being more than I needed in the end. You're right to forget about the mixers as well, no good for portability.

My current interface is a Yamaha GO46. I've probably owned more audio interfaces than anyone here, so take from that what you will. Though, I'd really like to try the Duet sometime.

That's interesting to hear, because as I understand it Mac is pretty much the champion of Firewire and by far its biggest user. My current PC laptop (a good one in 2005), which I will be ditching for the Macbook Pro, doesn't have a Firewire port. And sure, a desktop PC could have a firewire card, but that defeats the purpose of portability.

So yeah, bus power is important because I might want to record somewhere without an outlet. Do you know if the problems you mentioned were exclusive to your versions of the devices? Perhaps they've been improved slightly? I just wish I could try them out...

But the Yamaha looks good. As good as any of the others, at any rate. I hope to be able to make it to the NYC Guitar Centers soon with all this info.

BGC, the Profire does not look at all like something I'd want. I need something I can carry around, not something to rack mount. As for the MOTU, it looks like overkill for me... I can't imagine ever using half those inputs. Can you record multiple tracks on the duet simultaneously? As I mentioned, that's important.

You'd be surprised, especially if you've ever considered using outboard gear. That said, if you're going to be strictly software and are approaching this mainly from a hobbyist perspective, then yes it may be overkill.

Vagrance, can you point me to a couple of small mixers out there? Even the smallest ones I've seen don't look like they're made for portability.

http://www.sweetwater.com/store/detail/1202VLZ3/ this is essentially the same one that crapped out on me. Although I bought mine second hand and Mackie gear is usually incredibly solid. You are right though, in that they aren't specifically built FOR portablity, but honestly that mixer is smaller than you think and is very easy to transport to point A to point B.

All the interfaces you've mentioned look good as well (except for the MOTU, as I explained above). Is there any way to break them down further?

It really all breaks down to company preference. I must admit my lack of knowledge for both Tascam and Presonus, though I will say that everything I've used by the latter is for the most part great quality. Mackie has a very reputable history but is starting to fall behind newer companies. Alesis isn't the biggest name but everything they do is feature packed and cheap. M-Audio is as close to consumer-brand as professional audio gear gets but they have a knack for getting things done effectively and cheaply (and is price-wise).

You said you have both an Alesis and a Satellite... why do you have more than one device? I want to make sure that a single device will handle all my needs.

Well I have an M-Audio 2496 (first interface I got) installed in my desktop computer, but decided I needed something for my laptop, so I got the Mackie. At the time I also had that Mackie mixer mentioned above but about 3 months ago is started emitting a weird noise and so far I suspect its one of the capacitors. I have yet to crack it open but in the meantime I've started working on building a new computer to replace my old desktop and figured that I might as well get a new interface with more Pre's as now I'm in a band and I'll need as many channels I can get when recording. So while it seems like overkill at the moment, over the next few months my amount of gear will decrease down to a more reasonable amount.

TMI, I know, but you asked. Any one interface will be enough.

That's interesting to hear, because as I understand it Mac is pretty much the champion of Firewire and by far its biggest user. My current PC laptop (a good one in 2005), which I will be ditching for the Macbook Pro, doesn't have a Firewire port. And sure, a desktop PC could have a firewire card, but that defeats the purpose of portability.

So yeah, bus power is important because I might want to record somewhere without an outlet. Do you know if the problems you mentioned were exclusive to your versions of the devices? Perhaps they've been improved slightly? I just wish I could try them out...

Pez, I'm not sure what kind of Firewire ports the MacBook Pros have, but if you want to use bus power, the Firewire port you use needs to be a fullsize 6-pin port, not the smaller 4-pin version.

That's interesting to hear, because as I understand it Mac is pretty much the champion of Firewire and by far its biggest user.

They are.

Do you know if the problems you mentioned were exclusive to your versions of the devices? Perhaps they've been improved slightly?

The problem isn't the MacBook Pro. The problem is the devices not in accord with the IEEE standard. Shoddy engineering on behalf of Presonus and TC Electronic.

Apple had to tweak the power usage on the Firewire 400 port in order to accommodate the Firewire 800 port, but they did so in accordance with the standard. I do have an older chipset (Merom) so it's possible the newer chipsets (Santa Rosa) are more lenient in this regard, but you'll have to figure that out on your own.

I just wish I could try them out...

You can if you so desire. Get your MBP first. Purchase the interfaces from places with good return policies and keep returning them until you find something you like.

That's what I did.