*NO* Suikoden 'SuikoJazz'

djpretzel

• 3 weeks later...

Well- not really jazz to my ears- seems a bit more new-age perhaps; reminds me of Vangelis more than anything else.

I have to say I really like this. The weakest aspect is of course the mastering, but that can be overlooked in my mind due to the very interesting arrangement.

First of all, I dug out my Suikoden soundtrack and listened to the original track (disc 1, track 24/25)- and lemme just say, this mix is one insane interpretation- very heavily rearranged.

The retro synth that plays the melody as well as certain aspects of the percussion should really appeal to fans of 70's synth music. Nice stuff there.

Not a perfect mix, but there are so many nice touches and attention to detail that leaps out to me the more times I listen to this. Definitely a keeper in my book.

YES

Hehe, winamp is smiling at me.

This doesn't sound too much like jazz to me.

LOVING that piano.

Great instrumentation.

Love the feel of the song.

The major Rock-style EQ isnt a problem here, save that on certain setups, one probably wont hear the mid tones at all.

On the downside, this song is extremely slow and repeats once. I don't like the fade out ending.

Yes for excellent arranging and feel.

Ehh.. I dunno, I can hardly hear anything but that hat and the snare...

i mean seriously.. i cannot hear midrange in this unless i turn it up and

then the hat is hurting my ears.. and why just fade this out?

It just seemed to drag on for so long, and it's only 3 minutes long.

I just think this could be done much better.

NO

What the HELL is going on with that snare? It sounds so... so lifeless! Almost as though the drummer playing it is beating it with socks filled with catfood...

And I'm going to have to agree that the EQing on this is phonky. The high end is really really powerful (that hi-hat is sizzling right out of the human ear's frequency range), and the middle feels hollowed out... especially that snare...

Plus, most of the important parts of this song are really soft and not in the front of the song, for example: the strings, the trumpets (not as badly as the strings, though).

Lastly, the fade-out ending is really... awkward feeling. Might want to just try bringing the drums into a fill and ending it on the sustained tonic.

NO

this is completely "general midi file" sounding.

too much reverb.

is that supposed to be a ride cymbal? it's high frequency sound is uncomfortable to my ears.

the only thing i like about this mix is that crazyfast piano sequencing. while the interpretation is pretty good it just doesn't deliver; this is quite boring and doesn't seem to go anywhere.

no