Help: Metroid remix recommendations

Echbel

Hi all. I could use some suggestions for putting together a play list.

This weekend I'm running a role-playing game set in outer space. The game revolves around exploring creepy ruins on deserted planets, so very Metroid-esque. I'm hoping to play some nice background music to set the mood for the players. (I'll be playing it right off the site for a group of four or five people; don't worry, this isn't a commercial endeavour.)

I've listened to most of the remixes from most of the Metroid games over the years, and I know the kind of music I want is in there. Problem is, I don't remember which mixes I liked, and I won't have time to listen to them all in the next two days. There must be well over 100 mixes between the various Metroid games! I'm hoping some of you can make recommendations.

What I'm hoping to find: electronic feel (either fast-paced or more ambient is fine), moody, deep. Dark stuff especially, but a range of emotion is fine; I'm sure I can find a good use for both cheerful pieces and grittier pieces.

What I'm trying to avoid: Rock, metal, or other non-electronica genre. Also, I probably won't use more than one or two remixes of any one track. Hearing 12 different takes on Norfair doesn't really make for exciting background music.

All Metroid games are fine, and I'm looking for a playlist of ~20 tracks total. Any suggestions?

Thanks in advance!

e

Please feed my massive ego ( :wink: ) by using the three Metroid Prime remixes I did. They might be a little too melodic for what you're looking for, but they are kind of atmospheric.

http://www.ocremix.org/remix/OCR01286/

http://www.ocremix.org/remix/OCR01507/

http://www.ocremix.org/remix/OCR01661/

Oh, now you're just pretentiously toying with my emotions. :wink:

My two personal favorites:

Marc Star - Dirty Sam

Red Tailed Fox - Brinstar Bonsai Garden

Threads like this make me want to revamp OCR Tags...

Great suggestion guys, and Darkesword, I got all 3 of your for sure. I've taken nearly all he suggestions here and have a great play list - plus my notes on which song to play for which scene :)

Bleck, I have probably heard every single Metroid, Super Metroid, and Prime remix out there. I love this site and all the remixers. I don't have a good head for remembering which remix has which mood just from the title alone, so I needed some extra help.

Many thanks guys!

e

Were you interested in songs OFF the website, I could hook you up with quite a lot of creepy/atmospheric tracks from a variety of games. Lord know my computer bustles with a ton of tracks kept solely for tabletop RPG purposes.

Out of curiosity, what system are you using? I'm getting Dark Heresy/GURPS vibes, from the exploration emphasis.