N/A

SFEX plus alpha is probably my favourite soundtrack ever. Great choice in source material!

As for your remix, it pales in comparison to the original. All the key elements are gone. I mean, all you did was loop one part over and over, totally kills the original jazz feel, and most of the material in the original song is gone. A failure. Sorry man.

I'm not sure you actually read the entire post. My computer is not able to handle any additional instruments or effects processors. Reason 3.0 literally will not run or respond with any additional input. I could not continue from where I left off, so I just left it open ended and repeating. The point is, I already said this is an unfinished song and that I was seeking help. Your disappointment is understandable but you must realize that it was addressed before you even formed the thoughts for your post.

As for the other elements of the original song, I prefer not to work with covers. I tend to abandon most of the smaller ideas of an original piece, only claiming the main part and infusing it with my own ideas. This has been the case with my Ibuki, Elena and Chun Li remix (all of which are on my myspace at http://www.myspace.com/thenativedialect). The only straight covers i've ever done were Jazzy NYC and The Street Fighter Bonus Round music. It is quirky, but it is my style. I prefer to lead things my own way. So if you are able to contribute to my solution and lend a hand, then I appreciate it. Otherwise, thank you for listening.

I did not imagine that the concept would be this difficult to grasp, considering I outlined the problem from the start. But here is a picture. Sometimes a visual aid helps where words fail.

l_a8e4559abdeb1c1ecb75042132409ded.jpg

That is a print screen of my desktop. Now the song as you hear it, is a general melody, minimal and nigh existent harmony, and a few initial drum loops. You can even see that the drum machines are left without any effects processor to add "meat" to the sound. I always start my production off with segments that can be looped (visible when you view my sequencer). I then go back later and add or subtract from the loops. This is similar to the two methods of sculpting (adding and taking away).

Now, the above image is when I added a basic guitar instrument to the mixer. I attempted to sequence a harmony and the above result occured. That means that the song is unmanigable from this point, on my machine. That is exactly why I asked for help from anyone who uses Fruity Loops or Reason in particular. It is an unfinished song. I don't see how that part is difficult to grasp. This isn't an arrangement. It's an unfinished track that I was hoping to get some help with, given my situation. I don't know how to make that any more clear honestly. There is so much that I would like to do and should be done, but can not be done. I repeat, my computer can no longer handle arranging this song.

PROTIP: no one cares about technical limitations. it's about the music, man, and nothing else. as someone who listens to jazz, you should know this... will the average listener KNOW that you physically couldn't do any more to the track? no. that's all we're trying to say, no offense, but if the track isn't ready to be seen, then don't show it...ya know?

That being said, I really like your stuff on myspace. I even like this track; smooth jazz/urban beats are just cool when done right.

You'd have to do some serious arranging to make up for the genre limitations to make it onto OC, though. Unfortunately, judges rarely count the genre "with" you, so to speak. They just care about the quality of the interpretation of the music, even if the genre doesn't encourage that.

It's a good start though, and to quote one of my old technology teachers:

"It's time to upgrade!" Get yo stuff together, boy, and finish this up right!

Your disappointment is understandable but you must realize that it was addressed before you even formed the thoughts for your post.

For some reason, I found that particular sentence funny...

Have you tried limiting the unneeded applications running on your computer in the background? Doing that and regular maintenance could do wonders as far as processing power is concerned. If you don't know how to check the programs running in the background, just type msconfig in your search box in the start menu, or wherever you computer's search feature is. It will show you all of the applications running and how much memory it takes up. Hope that helps some.

Ahem...anyway, smooth stuff as usual. I would have probably replaced the string(ish) sounding sample that comes in at 0:16 with a smoother, sinewave like sample. The only example of this sound i can give you is the synth I used at the end of "The Song of Ruin."

Since you're not that far into the mix yet, I can't really give you more constructive criticism on it yet, but I can tell you that I'm definitely looking forward to hearing more of this.

I wish I bothered to learn more about FL Studio. I would have loved to do a collab with you.

Fruity Loops is just possible to work with, but I use Reason 3.0 myself. As it were however, I regularly maintain my computer. My hard drives are defragmented. My tasks are at a minimum. I will have nothing running in the background that is not a necessary process, and I still get the same end result. Reason ceases operation and presents the message as shown in the photo (that really is a picture of my desktop.

And yes I am aware of most of the idiosyncracies of jazz music, which are absent from this mix, but that is not because I did not want to include them. I literally lack the physical power within my computer system, to add anything. I can't even additional sequencing for my existing instsruments.

This is why I really hoped to receive some help from a user who has a superior machine. Instead I am finding an overwhelming negative sentiment about what the song should be, even though there is a glaring problem that prevents me from taking personal action. Hence why I turned to these forums for outside help. But no need to worry. I already spoke to my collaborator. He is going to step in and do what he can for the rest of this mix. I'll keep you all posted on how that turns out.

It's an unfinished track that I was hoping to get some help with, given my situation.

And we are trying to help, talking about what we like and what we don't like about the mix.

If your technical possibilities are limited, then that's that, but don't jump on us just because we don't cut you any slack due to your shitty computer.

Hm... I don't know the source, but I like the chillout mood you have going on here.

As it is an unfinished project, I can't say much about it at the moment.

However, I used reason 3.0 on a crap computer for a while and I had the same problems as you. the only things i can suggest is to close down all background programmes and mute unnesserery instruments for playback purposes to increase your computer memory while reason is in playback. But at the end of the day, you will need a new computer if your current one isn't playing reason. However, I like what you have so far, post the full version when you finally finish it.

And we are trying to help, talking about what we like and what we don't like about the mix.

If your technical possibilities are limited, then that's that, but don't jump on us just because we don't cut you any slack due to your shitty computer.

I have no problem with helpful comments. And I appreciate most of your comments because you have listened to most of my posted work. What I do find irksome however is being told i'm missing all kinds of elements, when the very first thing my initial post mentions, is the absence of the expected jazz elements. I am then told that my mix is a failure, even though I clearly stated that it is unfinished. Add several similar posts and one can begin to see my frustrations. Especially when I clearly asked for help from any individual who has a better computer than I do. I plan to finish this song. It will just have to be with outside help. But again, I do appreciate the insight, for what it's worth...