Using OC ReMixes in a non profit project?

O Thnap!

Hey, I've been a fan of ocremix.org for a while now but it only just occured to me to register. It is unfortunate that I have to begin with a topic like this, but there is a question I would like to have answered.

Basically, I'm currently developing an amateur video game using the RPG Maker engine. It's more of a hobby than anything else, but when it is complete it will be posted on several websites for others to download and play. There will be absolutely no profit involved as I won't be charging people to play it. (Oh, if only I could get away with that. xD)

I've found some excellent remixes on this website, and I would love to use a few of them in my project. But I would not like to step on any toes in the process, or worse yet break copyright laws. So I come to the community to ask if this would be acceptable.

As far as I know it is impossible to encrypt the audio folder, so any sound files included would be completely free for the downloaders to store on their computer. This is actually really irritating, and is the only real obstacle I can see.

I read the FAQ but did not find an answer to this question. All I could find pertaining to copyright was this line:

Yes, the original soundtracks and source tunes which OverClocked ReMixes are based on are copyrighted material. We are not out to infringe on the copyright owner's rights by making money off of their content. We are a fan site, and all material on OC ReMix is freely available and contains information on the source tune's game origin and composer (if available). The ads and merchandise on this site go only to pay for bandwidth, hosting, and other administrative costs. We are a not-for-profit web site established to honor the video game industry, not detract from it. We at OC ReMix encourage users to buy professionally released video game music soundtracks to support game music.

This would suggest to me that if I credit both Ocremix.org and the individual authors of each song I should be free to use them in my project. But I wanted to see what the community had to say about it first.

Thank you for your time. I look forward to hearing from you. :)

Dude, O Thnap, what the heck you like read my mind. I came onto the site about to make a topic about the same thing, just in case so I wouldn't get in trouble. Like, I mean, I'm also making a game in RPG Maker, but instead of distributing it as wide as you are, we're thinking about only keeping it to like five or six of us working on it.

...are you one of my partners in crime? Ha, j/k, but yeah, thanks for the link Liontamer, and thanks for commenting on my xanga about three-five months ago ^_^.

so i guess there aren't any stipulations to the original composers having to sign off on such things? isn't it the copyright owner who makes these decisions? ocremix is fun and all, but if things get transplanted into games, then won't be a line crossed that's a little too close to its initial form?

just some wishful thinking here...i am all for ocremix to be out there and get exposure and credit but its just those lawyers that ruin everything.

ocremix is fun and all, but if things get transplanted into games, then won't be a line crossed that's a little too close to its initial form?

No.

Besides, its a non-profit project. Using a derivative arrangement in an unrelated non-profit game is far from diluting any trademark. Can lawyer's send a C&D? Sure. Would they even bother? Probably not.

Don't worry too much about that kind of thing. People use OC ReMixes everywhere even without getting any kind of permission from anyone. All we ask is for people to follow the terms of use.

Besides, its a non-profit project. Using a derivative arrangement in an unrelated non-profit game is far from diluting any trademark. Can lawyer's send a C&D? Sure. Would they even bother? Probably not.

i agree with you and thankfully that is the case that works out here.

but copyrights being as they are, i still think its important to respect them. its kinda weird with overseas copyrights, but i'm sure that square-enix wouldn't allow their music to be used in any form in japan without their expressed permission whether its a dojin band or not. i'm not trying to undermine you at all here, i'm just suggesting to anyone who does take these songs, to be cautious with them and to know that they probably do need permission to license the songs. its not entirely ocr's call.

but copyrights being as they are, i still think its important to respect them. its kinda weird with overseas copyrights, but i'm sure that square-enix wouldn't allow their music to be used in any form in japan without their expressed permission whether its a dojin band or not.

On the music side, they don't shut down anyone, here or Japan. Do a search to check it out.

http://vgmdb.net/db/main.php