Looking for a new computer.

linkspast

I really need (want) a new computer, The notebook I have is about four years old and has its share of issues.. and a few are physical problems. I feel like I want a desk top. But I am not %100 sure...

I dont use it a lot for gaming, but Starcraft 2 is comming out. so I would like that to run ok... but thats about, it. But other than that I just need something to get homework done and browsing the internet....

Is there a way to use my PS3 as a computer?

I know there was a thread about one of you wanting to build computers. That could also be a good way to go, If the PS3 Idea wont work.

Mephisto's the one to do the job when it comes to building computers. But hey any shmuck can do it with a little bit of guidance. Built a system for myself so if you're interested we can talk. I'm sure others can and will aid you more.

For starters...

Windows XP SP2

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16832116400

I say go for the service pack 2 version for the possibilty you have problems with your hard drives being recognized. Something about some issues with IDE and Sata connections, I could be wrong. Some one correct me please if I am.

Windows Vista - If you're interested in trying their new OS and have no fears of any apps you like not working...

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16832116485

hi, pm me please. we'll talk.

edit: you can use your ps3 as a computer, but you'll still need to buy a new, larger hd probably, as well as hacking your ps3's OS...which can be tricky. and you can only run certain versions of linux, having done all that.

why would you need to hack it if it lets you install "Other OS"'s?

according to a relatively old slashdot article (like, a few months), you have to use a third-party app to allow you to dual boot into both the ps3 menu and linux. i don't have a link, unfortunately, it's been ages since i read it.

It's nor this is it..? Considering it's dated November of 06...

http://ps3.qj.net/PS3-Linux-Dual-Boot-Instructions-Blu-ray-disc-mounting-supported-/pg/49/aid/72754

hi, pm me please. we'll talk.

edit: you can use your ps3 as a computer, but you'll still need to buy a new, larger hd probably, as well as hacking your ps3's OS...which can be tricky. and you can only run certain versions of linux, having done all that.

this guy right here is amazing

he knows his stuff

highly recommended

A+++++ will buy from again

If you do go with PS3 linux, know that (accoding to my PS3 owning and PS3-linux using friend) there is a STUPID restriction on partitioning the hard drive which makes it so one of your partitions must be 10 gigs and the other must be the rest of the drive.

So either 10 gigs linux and rest of the drive for PS3, or 10 gigs for saves, dlc, and hd installs (and that will run out fast) and the rest for linux.

Also, back up your saves before messing around. The repartitioning may be destructive.

You're limited to some distros, and not all software has been ported to the Cell architecture. Even less is optimized. For example, you won't be able to run ZSNES natively as it's coded in x86 assembler. Furthermore, since Sony allows PS3 linux only through a hypervisor that restricts use of the GPU, you won't have accelerated graphics.

For general purpose tasks and programs not optimized for Cell, the PS3 is a SLOW computer. The Cell is a very specialized processor that is very fast at very specific things, and is massively parallel, so any app that doesn't fork 7 or so threads will not be able to use much of its power. Most apps don't use many threads, so most of the time you won't be running on the SPUs, meaning most of the time, the PS3's potential power is going to waste. Once more software gets optimized for PS3 you'll start seeing the speed but for now, not much uses the hardware to its capabilities.

As of now, PS3 linux is interesting, but not a desktop replacement by any stretch.