Has anyone here ever sold anything on Amazon.com?

Meteo Xavier

I want to sell a bunch of my rarer games that I'll never get to play and I'm considering using that function, but I'm not very good at those things and can't manage very well. I'm wondering if someone can give me a basic gist of what all I have to know. Like what are their rules on trade? Do I wait until they send me a check before I send the game out? Do I have to send it a certain way? Do I have to pay a percentage to Amazon.com?

I feel stupid asking, but this is the best way for me to learn.

No, I have never sold you anything on Amazon.com

For serious, the basic way it works is this: you register yourself as a seller on Amazon, which works kind of like eBay or Paypal in that you register a bank account for them to deposit funds into. Then you can list items. You will set the list price that customers will see. Then, when it sells, Amazon will give you a certain amount of credit in addition to that price so that you can ship it. They will also take their cut off the top. Depending on what the item is (how much it will cost to ship) and what your price is (their cut is a percentage of the selling price) this may mean you make more or less than your list price. Amazon allows you two days from the point of purchase to ship the item, after which you are allowed to refund the customer if you have failed to do so. It is up to you to notify the customer of shipping, and also arrange anything extra like tracking numbers, whatever.

Once you make your first sale, your profit on the sale and any subsequent sales will be deposited to your bank account after 14 days. Beyond that point, you can either let your profits be deposited automatically every 14 days or make a withdrawl any time you so choose. But the first payday isn't until 14 days after the first sale.

One more note: Amazon encourages you to use Media Mail for books, CDs, movies, games and the like. This is usually the most cost-effective option, so I recommend it too.

How does Amazon compare to eBay as far as customer support/fraud/legal matters go? There are lots of people with the "eBay mentality" screwing people over. A couple of times I got shafted as well as a buyer by a couple of sellers who closed their accounts.

Amazon is already my first choice for music; I switched from iTunes a while back. Amazon is looking more promising now for selling items.

I've never sold on amazon.com before, so I can't help you there, but http://www.half.com is basically ebay's version of that amazon service you're talking about. I don't know if it's better or not, but I've gotten a lot of milage out of it as a buyer and I haven't had any trouble with dishonestly yet. It might be worth looking into before you settle on amazon.

I've never really liked amazon since that time I paid extra for a pre-ordered Jedi Outcast so I could get it 3 days before it's street date, and then they shipped it 3 days AFTER.

I've sold one thing on Amazon: a brand new ipod with case. I sold it for $175, after amazon's cut and whatnot they sent my bank account a credit for $162.50. Electronics are on the cheaper side of what they take out though; if you're selling things like antiques though, they take a bigger cut (I think the highest they take is 15%). It was rather easy to set up, I sold my item in less than a week (I also actually saved the person $75, unlike most who try to sell their item for $5 or so less), and they paid me right after the 14 days to set up my account (or rather, the option to disburse funds became available, so I clicked it).

Overall, great experience, and if I had something else to sell, I would most likely use Amazon.